Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Veeam Console in a virtual desktop

Post by HendersonD »

We have been using VMWare View for many years now. We have three pools of floating desktops created, one of these pools is called Tech. The master image is Windows 10, version 1709. On this master image we have a lot of my departments software tools installed. Filemaker Pro, Active Directory Users and Computers, RVTools and the Veeam Console. We spin up just 3 virtual machines based on this master image. There are times where one of my techs is away from the office and needs access to some of these tools. They login to a virtual desktop session and are set.

We have been running Veeam 9.5 update 3 just fine inside a virtual desktop session. We just upgraded the master image by installing Update 4a and recomposing desktops. The recompose operation never finishes getting stuck on the customizing step. We changed nothing else on the master image so upgrading Veeam to 4a is the root cause of the recompose issue.

Does anyone else run Veeam Console inside a virtual desktop? Any ideas why upgrading to 4a would cause recompose issues?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam Console in a virtual desktop

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi HendersonD,

To be honest, I cannot think of a reason why this would not work. Did you make also other updates? Like windows updates or something like that? Did you use Quickprep or Sysprep? Do you have more information about the error?
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Re: Veeam Console in a virtual desktop

Post by HendersonD »

I made no other updates. As I mentioned I have been running the Veeam Console inside a virtual machine for about 2 years and it is only when I applied this latest update where my pool will not finish composing. We are using Quickprep. We are running Windows 10 version 1709. This summer I am going to deploy fresh master images running either 1809 or an even newer version if released and supported. I will give it another try then