Veeam Disk Exclusions Explained

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Veeam Disk Exclusions Explained

Veeam Logoby rntguy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:40 am

I have tried reading the documentation and a few articles but still the wording/wizard is confusing to me.

I want to have one backup job that does the OS + D drive (SCSI 0:0 and 0:1) and then another job that does the S drive (0:2).

When I add the VM to the first job and add exclusion I'm under the impression I'm choosing which disks to exclude, hence the name of the button. But when I go to the disk tab and select the VM and Edit exclusions I see the ability to add SCSI disks. The phrase used is "select disks to process". This to me seems like I am selecting disks I want to backup. Am I mis reading this?

Also, I assume for the S drive I'd want to also back up the OS drive (0:0) again so I can do restores to a specific location? If I don't back it up twice where can I restore files to? Or is it all or nothing then?

Thanks!
rntguy
Service Provider
 
Posts: 57
Liked: never
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:31 pm
Full Name: Rnt Guy

Re: Veeam Disk Exclusions Explained

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:34 am

Hi and welcome to the community.

Please take a look at this article and feel free to ask questions if any.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 2953
Liked: 241 times
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: Veeam Disk Exclusions Explained

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:57 pm

rntguy wrote: When I add the VM to the first job and add exclusion I'm under the impression I'm choosing which disks to exclude, hence the name of the button. But when I go to the disk tab and select the VM and Edit exclusions I see the ability to add SCSI disks. The phrase used is "select disks to process". This to me seems like I am selecting disks I want to backup. Am I mis reading this?

In this wizard you're selecting which disks to process, the wording might be a bit confusing (I agree). Check out this topic for additional reading.
rntguy wrote: I want to have one backup job that does the OS + D drive (SCSI 0:0 and 0:1) and then another job that does the S drive (0:2).

What kind of VM is that? What data do you store there?
rntguy wrote:Also, I assume for the S drive I'd want to also back up the OS drive (0:0) again so I can do restores to a specific location? If I don't back it up twice where can I restore files to? Or is it all or nothing then?

Please review this topic for the answer > Backup Job Exclude Disk
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 19450
Liked: 1092 times
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Linguistic trouble - Excluding disks from backup

Veeam Logoby marius roma » Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 am

I have a job processing 2 VMs.
One VM have 4 disks, configured as iSCSI 0:0, 0:1, 0:2 and 0:3.
I want to back up ALL the disks EXCEPT iSCSI 0:2.
I add the VM to the job and I open the "Exclusion" page, add the VM and go to a window whose title is "Select Disks".
The window contains a radio button with 3 options: "All disks", "Disk 0:0 only (typically, system disk)" and "Selected disks".
In the bottom of the page a check button says "Remove excluded disks ...".
The center of the window allows adding one or more disks.
My quesion is: the disks I add in the window are the disks to be processed (backed up) or excluded?
In other words, should I add disks 0:0, 0:1, 0:3 (to be backed up) or disk 0:2 (to be excluded from backup)?
Regards
Mario
marius roma
Expert
 
Posts: 311
Liked: 3 times
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:04 pm
Full Name: Mario

Re: Linguistic trouble - Excluding disks from backup

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Wed May 10, 2017 11:55 am

Hi Marius,

marius roma wrote:My quesion is: the disks I add in the window are the disks to be processed (backed up) or excluded?

Yes, you should add the disks to be processed (backed up).
For additional information, check posts and links above.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 318
Liked: 38 times
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:49 pm
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev


Return to Veeam Backup & Replication



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests