Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rosenstand
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Allan Rosenstand Larsen

Veeam - EMC DataDomain - DR Site EMC DataDomain - Best Way?

Post by rosenstand »

Hi all

Just started working for an new company, and the first thing i notice was how the backup are running.

Today they are running an Veeam B&R v8 in main site, and are making backup by LAN to an EMC DataDomain unit.
This unit then makes an replication to another unit at their recovery site, for offshore backup.

What I would like to do, is to change this setup, so it will look more like this:

Main Site:
Veeam B&R v8 backs up to EMC DataDomain with DD Booster enabled (This is enabled, but not used at the moment)
Then I want the backup data to be replicated to the recovery sites EMC DataDomain, there don't have DD Booster installed.
- Would it be best to do this inside the DataDomain, or by using Veeam B&R to perform this replication?
The total number of days of backup I want to have on the recovery site is only 7.

Then I would like to have an weekly backup lying directly on the recovery sites DataDomain, and an monthly, so that I can go back in time to find old data.
I was thinking of 4 weeks of backup (1 backup pr week), and then 12 months backup (one pr. month).
What would be the best way of doing this?

As I wrote earlier on, the recovery sites DataDomain don't have DD Booster.

I'm hoping to find the best way of setting up and backup and recovery senario, where I can have my backup secured for an long time, and on two locations, and at the same time, perform an fast recovery if needed, either by the local DataDomain storage, there will hold the backup for 14 days, or by accessing the old data lying on the recovery sites DataDomain, where will hold data for years back.

Hoping for some feed back to help me getting this setup in place soon.

Thanks

Rosenstand
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Veeam - EMC DataDomain - DR Site EMC DataDomain - Best W

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Veeam B&R v8 backs up to EMC DataDomain with DD Booster enabled (This is enabled, but not used at the moment)
Sounds good however you should keep in mind the limitations. Please also take a look at this whitepaper.
Would it be best to do this inside the DataDomain, or by using Veeam B&R to perform this replication?
That depends. In your case DD replication will be faster as dataflow goes directly between two units. On the other hand backup copy job is more reliable due to bulit-in health checks and other features that make management more flexible.
The total number of days of backup I want to have on the recovery site is only 7.
In this case all you need is just to set retention to "7".
Then I would like to have an weekly backup lying directly on the recovery sites DataDomain, and an monthly, so that I can go back in time to find old data.
I was thinking of 4 weeks of backup (1 backup pr week), and then 12 months backup (one pr. month).
What would be the best way of doing this
I believe that GFS retnetion is exactly what you need. Please take a look at this article and let me know if any questions persist.
As I wrote earlier on, the recovery sites DataDomain don't have DD Booster.
Which means that you cannot add it to VBR console as a dedupe appliance and will need to add it as ether CIFS or NFS share. Please refer to this Best Practices KB.

P.S. Here is another useful post on a similar topic.

Thank you.
rosenstand
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Allan Rosenstand Larsen

Re: Veeam - EMC DataDomain - DR Site EMC DataDomain - Best W

Post by rosenstand » 1 person likes this post

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have been looking into the different links you have posted, and they all gives me good ideas to proceed with this.
I will therefor continue working to my goal on this senario.

Thanks for your help.

//Rosenstand