Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
falkob
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Falko Banaszak

Veeam Enterprise Manager - Choose Proxy to restore

Post by falkob » 2 people like this post

Good day everyone,

I'm wondering if there is a way on choosing a specific proxy server for Full VM Restores triggered out of the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager.
I'm having an issue at one of my customers where we triggered Full VM Restores and random proxies are chosen for the restore process.
(Obviously those proxies are the ones with the worst connectivity which results in a very slow restore)

Is there any way to choose which proxies are being used when performing restores out of the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager as it is possible within VBR ?
Furthermore, is there any setting in VBR that controls the proxy choice within the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager or am I missing something here ?

(For reference, that is basically what I'm looking for within VBR)

Thanks !
VCP6.5-DCV, VCP6-DCV, VMCE, VMCA, Veeam Vanguard, VMware vExpert
https://www.virtualhome.blog
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Veeam Enterprise Manager - Choose Proxy to restore

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Falko,

Good feedback.

We were trying to simplify EM UI as much as we can and keep things in "Automatic" where possible, because self-service restores are meant to be used by less experienced(than backup admins) people. For backup admin it would be obvious which proxy to pick, but for the end user that would either be a gibberish list of names, or an additional instruction set from IT to "make sure to pick proxy XX for all your restores" making restore path more complex.

I would rather dig into automatic selection mechanics and make it choose a better proxy without human interaction.

Anyhow, noted for discussion.

/Thanks!
dpal
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Veeam Enterprise Manager - Choose Proxy to restore

Post by dpal »

I agree with the OP... the option to choose a proxy is good for those who are no knowledgable about the environment, while those regular users could just stick with automatic as the default... But I feel the choice should still be available. Our DBAs all use enterprise mgr for their restores and it would be good if they were able to choose which proxy to use.