Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chrisBrindley
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Veeam Enterprise manager Web. File restore

Post by chrisBrindley »

I was wondering if this issue maybe fixed in the future.
If you backup a server in the console, you have the option of restoring an individual file, even if you haven't selected indexing on that job, when you do the restore it asks you for a local account and password to do an in place restore and you are good to go.

I noticed the file tab in the web interface has no servers present, when asking around it seems as if indexing has to be turned on to do file restores from the web interface, this isn't an issue in a normal environment, but we are a hosting company and when selecting indexing in a job, you must provide and account and password to run indexing.
Our policy is to have no access to end user systems so this present a problem.

Issue 1: We provide the web interface to customers to do their own restores, but then have to tell them they cannot do file restores unless we get an account on every server.
Issue 2: We have hundreds of servers, so our jobs run multiple servers, we cannot add one account to index the jobs as each customer would then have an account with the same password, across multiple customer accounts and this is in violation to our terms. So we would have to create a job per customer which would result in 500 - 1000 jobs at present time.

Resolution. If it were possible that the web interface would ask like the console for an account during the restore the issue would be resolved.

make Sense
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Veeam Enterprise manager Web. File restore

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately, web FLR is built around guest file indexing and cannot function without one, so it is essential that VMs are indexed. But you don't have to deal with end user guest OS passwords either. You can simply extend your end user portal to allow your user to enter guest credentials, and populate backup jobs with those using RESTful API. This way, you never get on hold of actual credentials.

And no, you don't need a separate job for each user. You can set credentials per VM or container using the advanced job settings.

Hope this helps!
slaburda
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Stanislav Laburda

[MERGED] FEATURE REQUEST: FLR - Force credentials.

Post by slaburda »

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager. Force credentials while performing FLR.
Environment: Veeam 9.0.0.744

Hi,
I have a backup job without application processing neither indexing. So there is not specified administrator permission for backup VM.
If I perform file restore from VBR console credential dialog to choose user account with appropriate permissions appear and after selecting right user restore complete successfully.

But, if I do the same operation from Enterprise Manager, credential dialog does not appear and restore failed on credential error:

NWTEST: Credentials exception
Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors:
'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]. Account: [domain\veeam].
Win32 error:The user name or password is incorrect.
Code: 1326

Is it possiple to add option to set right credentials in Enterprise Manager to?

Thank You
Stanislav
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Stanislav, thanks for the feedback. May I ask you why you do not enable application-aware processing on this backup job (which is against best practices)?
slaburda
Enthusiast

Post by slaburda »

First of all I have to notice that my testing environment is on version 9 (9.0.0.744). In this version is not necessary to index guest files to perform file restore from EM.

On our production environment we support daughter companies where we do not have administrators privileges on backup VMs. In backup job we use VMware Tools quiescence option instead of the Application-aware image processing. We know disadvantage of quiescence option but for some cases is only one solution for now.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Kindly, avoid posting issues regarding v9, till it becomes GA. As per private beta rules, please contact your Veeam SE directly with any issues or feedback. Thanks.
slaburda
Enthusiast

Post by slaburda » 1 person likes this post

Hello, I checked the situation on the version 9.0.0.902 and seems to be resolved. During the backup dialog appears to specify username and password to the VM .
Thank you for solving!
Stanislav
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Do you mean "during the restore"?
slaburda
Enthusiast