Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Veeam Exchange Recovery - Existing?

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello All..Was a long weekend for me. We were able to restore mailboxes from a backup to another exchange server. However, I did not estimate the amount of storage required during this restore to account for the hundreds of thousands of log files that were created so I had to abort the backup at about 93% recovered and allocate more storage to the VM. Now all the email seems to have restored and the database seems good on this new server. I am estimating about 30GB of data did not restore.

So this may seem like a basic question but I just wanted to confirm. If I fire up a new restore from that old database will it skip the items that have already restored into the individual mailboxes and just restore the items that are missing? I have not run into this situation before and just want to confirm...The option to restore "changed items" or "Missing items" is just that..Correct? If they exist it will not restore existing.?

Sorry for the triple check but I just do not want to end up restoring the entire database again

Thanks again
Dave
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam Exchange Recovery - Existing?

Post by PetrM »

Hi Dave,
dhayes16 wrote:will it skip the items that have already restored into the individual mailboxes and just restore the items that are missing
Yes, already restored mailboxes will be skipped as long as you select the checkboxes "Changed items" and "Missing items". You will see the number of skipped items in the restore report.

Thanks!
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 289 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Veeam Exchange Recovery - Existing?

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

It may be a bit late, but next time you could active circular logging for your Mailboxdatabases; this will limit the creation of the log files.