Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
guidoakd
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Guido G

Veeam Explorer for AD Issue

Post by guidoakd »

Hey everybody! i'm new at this community.

I'm trying to use the tool "Veaam Explorer for Active Directory", but at the beginning, when i have to attach the database from the Active Directory, this error appears and i don't know how to fix it.

"The process cannot access the file '....\ntds.dit" because it is being used by another process"

I think it's a particular issue because the AD's database ALWAYS will be being used... ¿what do you think? ¿Any suggestion?

Thanks very much... i'm stucked there :(
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Explorer for AD Issue

Post by Gostev »

Guido, are you attaching ntds.dit from live domain controller?
guidoakd
Influencer

Post by guidoakd »

Gostev wrote:Guido, are you attaching ntds.dit from live domain controller?
Yes. May i have to stop any service, something that doesn't stop the AD's operation? It's a AD for testing anyway... if that's the only solution, but it' doesn't exists replication to anotherone.
Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

If you can't stop DC operation, then the easiest would be to create a backup with Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, and restore from that backup. Thanks!
guidoakd
Influencer

Post by guidoakd »

I've stopped the Domain Controller Services and i've could attach the database, but then, when i've started services again and re-opened the Veeam Explorer, no database was attached... ¿do you know the reason? I supposed that once you attach database it will be always on the console.. also when i start again the DC service, i'm having some issues accesing to the data (the ntds file is on a shared disk from another server).
06/05/2016 01:55:44 p.m. 1 (2580) Error: JetError -1022, JET_errDiskIO, Disk IO error

May be i'm not understanding as well the pourpose of this, but i think my database must be online on Veeam Explorer while DC is also running on the other server? Is it OK? Not just in offline mode..

And what's the difference between using this tool and making a backup with Veem Endpoint as you said?
Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

What tool?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Guido, what is the purpose of your test? Basically, Veeam Explorer for AD is designed to restore AD objects from the backup, so you're supposed to open some offline copy of the database in it and perform restores (either back to the live DC or somewhere else).
guidoakd
Influencer

Post by guidoakd »

foggy wrote:Guido, what is the purpose of your test? Basically, Veeam Explorer for AD is designed to restore AD objects from the backup, so you're supposed to open some offline copy of the database in it and perform restores (either back to the live DC or somewhere else).
Got it. It worked perfectly. I've deleted an user and restored it without problems. I was trying to open the database not from the restored machine.... that was the problem :P

Now there is another question i have in mind... ¿is it possibly to restore an ENTIRE domain controller? If my DC gets broken.. ¿can i restore it consistently? This differs from "restore the entire VM" because we all know that SIDS of objetcs changes (it's like doing an snapshot). ¿Can do this with VEEAM?

Thanks!!!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sure, please refer to this article.