Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Re: Veeam Explorer for Exchange

Post by kewnev »

Gostev wrote: I did ask Microsoft (through our partner team) to review the possibility of providing 64-bit MAPI redistributable, but frankly no high hopes there, since MAPI is no longer their focus API (it got mostly replaced by Exchange Web Services).
hi Anton,

I have installed the 64-bit Outlook 2010 trial, and all works fine. I'm assuming that when the trial expires Even though outlook itself stops working, the MAPI components would still continue to work. So this could be one way of freely and legally doing things..
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Post by kewnev »

mjkohn wrote:Kewnev explained it right! This is way cool and it works very good. It looks like I can even restore items from the Public folders. BTW, our Exchange is 2010. :D
Very glad it helped :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

kewnev wrote:I'm assuming that when the trial expires Even though outlook itself stops working, the MAPI components would still continue to work.
Will test.
glercara
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gino Lercara

Post by glercara »

Here's what I get when I try to point to the datastore:

"Input string was not in a correct format"

And, below the database file text box, I see : ! Online Exchange backup detected, log replay is required"

Here is the full path to the database: C:\VeeamFLR\W2K8-Exchange10\Volume{a2b13841-8be7-11e1-8003-002219846baa}\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 1070135376

Too long maybe?

Then, it seems to recover. But, when I try to point to the log files location, I get the same error

I wish I could upload a screenshot of this.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Gino, please submit debug logs to our support team for further investigation and please put [VEXbeta] in the support case summary, so that it is handled correctly (as beta code does not get official support).
glercara
Novice

Post by glercara »

Ok, I submitted the logs. It's definitely the string size that is causing the error. I, temporarily, copied the Exchange DBs to the desktop and it works fine.
Kostya
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Post by Kostya »

glercara, looks like you are restoring from a Hyper-V backup, right? If this is the case, then most likely you're having the same issue as described earlier on this thread:
kewnev wrote: Oh also, if you are restoring from Hyper-V backups, make sure you run the following command at the administrator command prompt, otherwise you won't be able to mount the EDB/Log files . I'm sure you won't need to do this in the next release.

Code: Select all

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication" /v EnableHvVdk /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
glercara
Novice

Post by glercara »

After I add the registry key, I get the error "No disks have been mounted. Either disks of this type aren't supportes or some error occurred.". If I remove the key, the restore works.
nahuise
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Edgar

Post by nahuise »

I subscribed to request the beta. How long will it take before i get an email with further info?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Edgar, please take a look at this topic for the answer: Exclusive Beta - Veeam Explorer for Exchange - Apply Now
nahuise
Influencer

Post by nahuise » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Vitaliy. I received a download link and installed the beta. Must say. It's an absolute great tool. When will it be included in a new release? Are there no limitations in time or options when using the beta?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There are no limitations in terms of time period or features available in the current beta. Exchange Explorer will be included into our next release which is coming this year.
nahuise
Influencer

Post by nahuise »

Ok. Perfect. Thanks
CMB5
Novice
Full Name: Palitha Weerakkody

Post by CMB5 »

When I start Explorer for exchange,
Error pop up " Element not found"
Is anything elese need to install as well.
I can not find release notes.

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Palitha,

Could you please send the corresponding screenshot and debug logs to our support team? Don't forget to put [VEXbeta] in the support case summary, so that it is handled correctly.

Thanks!
CMB5
Novice

Post by CMB5 »

Hi Vitaliy,
Could you pls let me know where the debug file is?

thanks
Asikora
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Andre Sikora

Post by Asikora »

Hello
Nice Tool.I miss a search function for folder names for over one user post times.

Andre
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Palitha, you need to navigate to this folder to collect all log files:

Code: Select all

C:\ProgramData\Veeam\ExchangeExplorer\Logs
CMB5
Novice

Post by CMB5 »

Hi Vitaliy,
There is no ProgramData folder.
there is C:\program files\ veeam\ExchangeExplorer folder but no logs.

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ProgramData is a hidden folder, please copy and paste the directory above to your Windows Explorer, should help ;)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Asikora wrote:Nice Tool.I miss a search function for folder names for over one user post times.
Andre, actually you can search for the user mailbox by selecting the tree node and start typing the first letters of the user name. The cursor will jump to the mailbox that starts with the letter you type (just like in Windows Explorer). Now select it, and search will only process the selected mailbox.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Explorer for Exchange Feedback

Post by ekisner »

[merged]

Not sure if this is being posted in the right place... didn't see a more applicable subforum, but that doesn't mean it isn't there!

So, on to my feedback. This is based on my observations, if I'm using it wrong please do feel free to say as much.

It is cumbersome to work with. To have to restore a mailbox database, mount it in the explorer, and then restore the mail item, is about one step too many.

My suggestion would be this:
Create a list of exchange mailbox servers (to be populated by the user). Then, when the explorer is opened or a refresh button pressed, parse the (new) backups and the replications for the indicated VMs, and provide the user with a list of available restore points. When the user chooses a restore point, if it needs to be staged I don't see why that can't be automatic (prompting for a good place to stage to, or setting the location in the options ahead of time). Once staged (or if no stage is needed) present the user with the list of mail items to restore. If staged, when restore is complete prompt to (or automatically via a configured option) clean up staging area.

I suspect that since the file can be restored from the backups or replications without any additional steps, it wouldn't be a lot of work to simply access the data within the backup/snapshot itself using the same methods you would use to read the file were you restoring it - since it's all read-only.

In the end, once configured, it would be as simple as choosing a target restore date, choosing the items, and saying 'Go'. Rather than the existing decide your restore point, restore your restore point, restore the items in your restore point, and then clean up your restore.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Explorer for Exchange Feedback

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Note that the final version of the product will offer all of this integration as part of version 6.5. This was being demoed at VMworld US all this week.

Also, you can already access the database directly from the backups, you don't have to "restore" the mailbox database to a staging area. Simply start the process of a file level recovery, but once the browser window pops up, instead of restoring the file, simply start Exchange Explorer and browse out to the C:\VeeamFLR directory where you will see the backup volumes mounted.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

This reminded me the old software development joke:
- Why did you call this BETA?
- Well... because it is bettah than nothing!
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

tsightler wrote:Note that the final version of the product will offer all of this integration as part of version 6.5. This was being demoed at VMworld US all this week.

Also, you can already access the database directly from the backups, you don't have to "restore" the mailbox database to a staging area. Simply start the process of a file level recovery, but once the browser window pops up, instead of restoring the file, simply start Exchange Explorer and browse out to the C:\VeeamFLR directory where you will see the backup volumes mounted.
Even better , you can doubleclick the edb file from the FLR Browser in the GUI :)
TimBackup
Novice

Exchange Explorer Setup

Post by TimBackup »

[merged]

We just got our link for the Exchange Explorer Beta and I am having a little trouble getting the program configured properly.

We are running 2 Exchange 2010 servers in a DAG. My Exchange knowledge is quite limited, so I am just being very cautious so as not to get in too far over my head.

Do I just point the explorer to our ese.dll on the e-mail server and the mailstore on the actual running server or do we restore those files from a backup and then use the explorer to recover our data? I have gotten e-mail recovery working in the lab but it is rather cumbersome so I am quite excited to kick the tires on this. For ese.dll, if I can just restore the file do I need anything else or just the ese and our mail stores?

Sorry for the basic questions but just trying to make sure I don't do more harm than good.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

A little promo for my blog, I wrote a tutorial about how to use the tool. Hope you would find it useful:

http://www.vuemuer.it/en/?p=3617
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
lcaller
Novice
Full Name: Lee Caller

Explorer for Exchange - Jet Error

Post by lcaller »

[merged]

All, has anyone this i'm getting the following error no matter what backup i'm opening on this database :

When i mount the mail store i get this warning which i've seen on other mail stores :

I simply give it the log file location and away it goes but not on this mailstore. Is this suggesting that Veeam isn't actually successfully backing up this mail store to a recoverable state ?

Thank in advance

Lee
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Re: Explorer for Exchange - Jet Error

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Lee,

Can you please confirm that you've specified that correct log files? I would expect this kind of error from the database with incorrect log files specified. Also as a further step of troubleshooting can you please restore this database from the backup file and then try to open it one more time?

If this doesn't help, please open a support case with our technical team and send us the debug logs for investigation.

Thanks!
lcaller
Novice
Full Name: Lee Caller

Post by lcaller »

Good evening.

The log file location is correct i only have one log file location for this mail store. I'm restoring the database and logs locally to see if i can then open it up outside of mounting the file system in the temp directory.