Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GMAA
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: AdminNT

Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange: Search Mailbox

Post by GMAA » 1 person likes this post

Our Exchange users sometimes changes the Mailbox Stores. The problem is that when a user has changed the DB and we need to restore something we can't search for the mailbox of the user. With the advanced search it is possible to search all Mailbox items (And then you can see the DB). But we have a lot of users and it takes very long time. It would be very nice when it is possible to search the specific mailbox. Normally we can find out the current DB on the Exchange server.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange: Search Mailbox

Post by foggy »

Let's consider this as a feature request. Thanks!
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

[MERGED] Mailbox information in exchange restore with VBR

Post by johannesk »

hi,

I need to restore a users mailbox from a backup that was made of on prem Exhcange 2013. Thus I'm using VBR exchange explorer.

Within the explorer I can search for emails with ediscovery. But If I just need to find the users mailbox, I don't see a ways to find out what mailbox database the users mailbox belonged to.

Am I missing something or would this be a good features request?

regards,
Jóhannes
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Jóhannes, if this is what you're asking for, then it is indeed a feature request. Thanks.
MERBAG
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rolf

[MERGED] Exchange Mailbox Restore

Post by MERBAG »

I do have a question regarding the Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange. When I do need to restore a user mailbox, it is very time intense to find the users mailbox. Because in our setup the exchange server does have 12 databases (stores) - so after the veeam explorer has been opened I do need to double click each database and wait up to 30min till the database has been imported.

Is there any other better way to do this?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Exchange Mailbox Restore

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Rolf,

If I am not mistaken you can use search across all the stores within single backup - does it work in your case? Thanks!
MERBAG
Novice

Post by MERBAG »

Hey Dima,

Yes, you can use the "Search All Stores" this will mount all stores, which in our case does take 1.5 hours to open all the 12 stores. And then the actual search starts (if I enter just a name here, the veeam explorer tells me this search will take 128 days) - which does not just search for a mailbox, instead it does search through all the e-mails.

I am looking more for a way to search a mailbox (in any index or something?) so I can go ahead and open the correct store where the searched mailbox is located to open that one.

Hope you get my point here.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Can you please tell how the backup repository is connected to Veeam B&R you are performing recovery at? Thanks!
MERBAG
Novice

Post by MERBAG »

The respository is localy connected, the databases/stores are just large - but I think that has nothing to do with my question. I just want to know if there is a way to search for the mailbox location of a user without mounting all the stores and even after all stores have been mounted I cannot find a "search mailbox" function somewhere?
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

Veeam could add a feature which would keep a catalogue for you to browse. This could be useful for restoring files as well. Mounting large backups of file servers can take time. I placed a feature request for a similar reason. I think there's something about the way Veeam functions which offers some good advantages, such as SureBackup and the various failover and failback functions. The disadvantage seems to be that it isn't possible to know what is in a backup without opening it. If you're looking for something which was deleted you might have to open several backups (took me 6 attempts in my example). Instead you would have a catalogue of everything which was backed up which you could browse as quickly as scrolling through an Excel spreadsheet and it only starts mounting backup files when you know which file it is you want to mount. i.e. if there's a knowledge gap, as in my example, if the user does not know what the name of the file is you have to search through many backup files to find what you're looking for.

My original request: veeam-backup-replication-f2/feature-req ... 52730.html

An immediate solution to your problem is to perform regular exports of your user info, making sure you've exported the mailbox details for users. You could automate that.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

MERBAG wrote: Nov 06, 2018 2:15 pm I just want to know if there is a way to search for the mailbox location of a user without mounting all the stores and even after all stores have been mounted I cannot find a "search mailbox" function somewhere?
Hi Rolf, I've merged the thread into another existing one where similar requests were posted. Currently there's no ability to search for the mailbox.
Napoleon
Lurker
Full Name: Rubli Christian

Post by Napoleon »

Hi, we also Looking for a possibility to search a User Mailbox. Whats the reason that Veeam is not able to do this. Thats a fundamental feature of a Search Engine.
Samba222
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Ronald

Post by Samba222 »

Hi, has anything progressed here? It's sad that you still can not search for a user... in year 2020 :roll:

Regards Ronald
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

We are doing a daily scheduled export with powershell of „primarysmtpaddress and database for each user“ to an external server (or backup server).
If we have to restore from a mailbox, we use our own list for looking up the correct database.

It‘s a simple command:

Code: Select all

Get-Mailbox | Select primarysmtpaddress,database | Export-csv C:\temp\export-mailbox-location.csv -encoding UTF8
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Post by pshute »

That's a good idea, Mildur, but wouldn't it be better to add the date to the filename so that you've got a historical record rather than just a recent snapshot?
Samba222
Service Provider

Post by Samba222 »

Hello Veeam-Team,
another 2 years are gone without the option to search for a User Mailbox. Are there still plans to add this feature?

Regards,
Ronald
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Roland, we have it in a backlog, however, the priority so far was not high enough for it to get implemented. We're tracking the requests though.
Samba222
Service Provider

Post by Samba222 »

Thx foggy for the update - hopefully more and more people will be interested in :-)

Regards,
Ronald
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

While it's not a solution to this request, as a workaround you could browse the Active Directory backup first and look up the "homemdb" for the specific user; this will show the mailbox database you'll have to mount.