Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stones1234
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Explorer for SAN Snapshots

Post by stones1234 »

We have installed new 3PAR Storage. In Veeam Backup and Replication 7.0 I can integrate the storage
under HP StoreServ. The only thing I can create Snapshots, bur Instant recovery from Vmware or Hyper V machines
is not possible.

Still I need another plugin or product from Veeam or HP to restore Files or complete VM from our SAN Storage ?

What about HP Storevirtual ? Under SAN Infrastructure I can only add my HP 3PAR to HP Store Serv, but I cannot integrate storage
to HP StoreVirtual ?

Thanks

Guenter
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam Explorer for SAN Snapshots

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Guenter,
Guenter wrote:The only thing I can create Snapshots, bur Instant recovery from Vmware or Hyper V machines is not possible.
Could you explain in details what goes wrong? Are you able to see the snapshots you made in the Explorer?
If yes, when you double-click on a snapshot you see a list of VMs on the volume. Then right-click on one of VMs and you will see a list of restore options.

Also you can try to restore a VM from the SAN snapshot manually.
Guenter wrote:Still I need another plugin or product from Veeam or HP to restore Files or complete VM from our SAN Storage?
Veeam Explorer lets you restore VMware VM data directly from SAN snapshots on HP LeftHand, HP StoreVirtual VSA and HP 3PAR StoreServ.
For HP VirtualStorage you need to install HP VirtualStorage VSA Software.
Guenter wrote:What about HP Storevirtual ? Under SAN Infrastructure I can only add my HP 3PAR to HP Store Serv, but I cannot integrate storage to HP StoreVirtual ?
As has been mentioned above, Veeam Explorer works with HP Storevirtual.
Could you please clarify what you are trying to do and what type of issue you are having?

Thank you.
stones1234
Novice
Liked: never

Post by stones1234 »

I can't do nothing with the SAN Snapshots . I see under HP StoreServ our LUNS , but only what I can do is create Snapshots or delete Snapshots.

Must I have any other producat as Veeam Backup and Replication ? Ist the Veeam Explorer integrated ?

Must we install VSA appliance to restore VMs from SAN Snapshots ?

Many thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Guenter,
Guenter wrote:Must I have any other producat as Veeam Backup and Replication? Ist the Veeam Explorer integrated ?
Yes, you need Veeam Backup and Replication to be installed. Veeam Explorer is a part of Veeam B&R.
Guenter wrote:I can't do nothing with the SAN Snapshots . I see under HP StoreServ our LUNS , but only what I can do is create Snapshots or delete Snapshots.
Have you tried to restore a VM from the SAN snapshot manually?
Process of working with HP SAN storage snapshots is described step-by-step in the user guide. Please review.

If you still have problems, please contact Veeam support team for it for verifying your configuration.

Thank you.
BrandonH
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brandon Hogue

Post by BrandonH »

So long as you're running B&R Enterprise Plus, you should have the features you're looking for. You will have to be running Fibre Channel however unless that's changed recently.

I just took this screenshot, Trinity is my VBR server. You can see the snapshots Veeam made and attached to Trinity for backing up. It uses the same process for restoring as far as I've seen.

Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thank you for participation, Brandon!

Just a short remark that Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots is available for all editions of Backup & Replication product.

Guenter, a quick video about Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots can also be helpful for you.
BrandonH
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brandon Hogue

Post by BrandonH »

nshestakov wrote:Guenter, a quick video about Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots can also be helpful for you.
I guess I was just unaware of this product. I'll have to look into it.