Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chrisss
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots is not working anymore with Snapshots from secondary Netapp

Post by chrisss »

Hello everyone,

is anyone out there who is using Veeam B&R together with the Netapp Storage integration and a primary/secondary Netapp (SnapMirror/SnapVault)?

We've been using it since Veeam B&R v9.x to create Snapshots on our primary Netapp via Snapshot-Only Jobs and replicate them to our secondary Netapp via SnapMirror/SnapVault. After the upgrade to Veeam B&R v10, we noticed that we are no longer able to restore data (files, sql dbs) via the Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots when using Snapshots from our secondary Netapp as a source (some are working/some not). We get the error "Protocol is not defined for host type Storage" when trying to restore the data.

We opened a ticket back in 2020 but the support told us that it can't be fixed right now but it will be fixed with v11. A few weeks ago, the support told us, that the problem was fixed with v11, so we moved to v11 this week just to realize that the problem still exists.

After creating a third ticket for this problem a few days ago, support told us, the problem is still not fixed which makes Veeam kinda useless, since we can't be sure that we will be able to restore the data from our secondary Netapp. Full VM restores are still working without problems, so SureBackup wouldn't help here.

Anoyne out there who is experiencing the same error when trying to restore data from a secondary netapp/snapshot?

Case #04732197

Best regards
chris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots is not working anymore with Snapshots from secondary Netapp

Post by foggy »

Hi Chris, could you please confirm you're trying to restore from the backups created AFTER upgrading to v11? I believe the fix support is talking about applies to newly created backups but issues with restore from backups created earlier are expected.
chrisss
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots is not working anymore with Snapshots from secondary Netapp

Post by chrisss »

Hello foggy,

the reply from support was "... At this moment the fix is not available in the V11..." which sounds for me that there is no fix included in v11. But after i posted here, i got a second response from support, that the bug is indeed fixed in v11. We did the upgrade two days ago, so i wasn't able to do much testing with new created backups/snapshots. Restore from existing/old ones is still not working, but maybe the fix only applies to new created as you wrote (i asked about that, but didn't get an answer).

Best regards
chris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yep, I believe the engineer just didn't express himself clearly. Let's see if the newer backups work fine - please let us know!