Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dinger76
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Bell

Veeam File Level Recovery across geographic locations

Post by dinger76 »

Hi Guys,

I wondered if you could help answer a couple of questions just to clarify the best method of performing a file level recovery for me.

Our environment sees us with a central data center where our Veeam Backup Manager is installed, running v6.1. This backs up the virtual machines from the local data center. We also then have a smaller office with a large (about 1TB) file server. This is added to the same backup manager, it backs up locally at the smaller office and then replicates across to the data center. We have proxy servers located at both the smaller office and the data center.

When we need to perform a file level restore from the large file server at the smaller location either through the console or through the web interface. It appears to take a very long time to mount up the backup file to then allow you to restore files, which then take an age to restore. As an example, it took my colleague 6 hours to restore 2GB of data from this server yesterday. I think that it is having to send the files across to the backup manager to send them back to the proxy.

Is there a better way to do this, to avoid the delay?

Or are you going to introduce indexing on replications to allow us to use the replica through the web interface instead of the console for the file level restore?

Thanks

Chris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam File Level Recovery across geographic locations

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Windows FLR works by mounting the backed up disk to the backup server and to show the file structure of the backed up VM in the Backup Browser, some MFT data is transferred to the backup server, which could take time due to the VM size. Also, in your case, the compressed blocks belonging to the restored file are then transferred to the backup server and then back to the restore destination.

To get faster restores, you could deploy another Veeam B&R server locally in your smaller location just for file-level restores.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Another trick that you might want to try is a "mutli-OS" FLR wizard. During "multi-OS" FLR operation backup files are mounted on vPower NFS server associated with your offsite backup repository, and then attached to FLR helper appliance, which should be located over the WAN as well. In this case the restore traffic will be kept locally on your DR site. Hope this helps!
dinger76
Enthusiast
Full Name: Chris Bell

Post by dinger76 »

Thanks guys, I'll give them a go and see which one works best for us.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

[MERGED] Issue with restoring a file from a replica

Post by tom11011 »

Veeam Support - Case # 00207236

Hi group. This is the first time I have tried to restore a file from a replica and have ran into an issue.

For background.
We replicate from Site A to Site B.
The Veeam console lives at Site A.

I'm restoring a 4 gig log file from a replica at Site B to a server at Site B.

However, it appears that backup is being routed from Site B to Site A, then back to Site B again. Obviously moving a 4 gig file in this manner is not desirable.

The source directory is on the veeam server at Site A called VeeamFLR.

Is this a bug or do I not have something configured right?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Tom, please review this topic for the explanation of this behavior and possible workaround. Hope this helps.
petitbleu
Enthusiast
Full Name: LE COQ MANUEL

[MERGED] Restoring to a remote site

Post by petitbleu »

Hi
I have a client who has 4 site with hyper-v. Each site is connected by a SDSL 2MB.

On the main site, there is the veeam installed. This is the standard version. The backup works perfectly and restoration to the file too.

Of the three remote site we deploy a proxy agent. The backup works perfectly with equivalent performance with dedicated storage on site.

By cons we encounter performance issues when we want to make file-level restore.

I feel that this is the console that reads the vbk through SDSL 2MB. So it takes several hours before the display.

I do not see too much solution from one console per site veeam.

To complete the configuration information. There are currently no veeam backup entreprise implementation because it is standard. And since I did not put either of search server. So I uncheck indexing during backup job.

Bests regards
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Manuel, please see the answers above regarding your issue. There are also two other topics on similar subject:
windows flr (transport via network)
Restore from remote site behaviour

Hope this helps.