Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CraigV
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: CraigV

Veeam & HP D2D Storage

Post by CraigV »

Hi there,

Has anybody implemented Veeam with HP D2D storage (StoreOnce 2620/4210)? If so, I've got a couple of questions:

1. Will the Veeam backup compress anymore on the device?
2. Are these devices supported? Is there an HCL to confirm with?
3. If Veeam backups are done locally on site to 1 of these devices, is it possible to use the D2D's replication capabilities to replicate any changes to a data center onto a larger device (say B6200 for instance)?

Thanks!

Craig
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Veeam & HP D2D Storage

Post by Gostev »

Hi Craig, I assume you have searched this forum for StoreOnce before posting?
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Post by Tobias_Elfstrom »

I would urge you to try before you buy and keep a close eye on actual storage usage compared to claimed Size on disk over at least a week.
We have a big issue with the B6200 version with this, now it may be just our setup or they actual unit we are working with hence the try before you buy advice! In our case HP claims to be working with Veeam R&D but progress is slow.

Veeam has suggested to write the Veeam backup files to some other device before moving them onto the StoreOnce unit. This will most likely work very well but you will brake the backup chain within Veeam. My personal belief is that working with VTL in v7 of Veeam might solve at least our issue.

Now to your questions:
1. Will the Veeam backup compress anymore on the device?
When saving to a dedupe device it is recommended to save the backupfiles uncompressed and undeduped from Veeam. In theory you will get a higher disk usage out of a dedupe device since you will be able to do dedupe on a lather about of data since veeam only does it within a backup job.
2. Are these devices supported? Is there an HCL to confirm with?
It should be but then again...
3. If Veeam backups are done locally on site to 1 of these devices, is it possible to use the D2D's replication capabilities to replicate any changes to a data center onto a larger device (say B6200 for instance)?
Yes, replication with the StoreOnce product would let you do this.

BR Tobias
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Post by Tobias_Elfstrom »

Indeed good documentation but as I said, pay close attention to how it preforms in real life.
BR Tobias