Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
silus
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon

Veeam ignoring exclusion list

Post by silus »

Hi,
We have a backup job which has a server in the exclusions list. When the job ran at the weekend it ignored this exclusion list and still attempted to back the server up.

Why would Veeam 6.5 ignore the exclusion list?

Does it ignore it if the job has VMs specified individually rather than at the cluster level (and to temporarily exclude it from a backup job you have to actually remove it from the list rather than add to exclusions)?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam ignoring exclusion list

Post by foggy »

Simon, actually you cannot add the VM to exclusions if it is already added to the list of VMs to backup (among other individual VMs), I just checked that. How do you specify this exclusion?
silus
Influencer
Full Name: Simon

Post by silus »

We have a job which individually specifies some vms to backup. One of these Vms was added to the exclusion list for temporarily exclusion from backup. So we have the same vm listed in 'Virtual Machines to Backup' and Exclusions > Virtual Machines to Exclude.

I should add that we have another backup job for our production cluster which specifies the cluster level to backup rather than individual vms. The exclusion list on this job works as intended.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not sure how did you manage to achieve that, UI just does not let me to do so (probably, this VM is added differently to these lists, for example, via vCenter and standalone host). Anyway, the proper way to exclude VMs from the job is to add the whole container and then exclude individual VMs. In your case, you can just remove the VM from the job temporarily and then add it back once needed.
deebsr
Influencer
Full Name: Shaun Deeb

Post by deebsr »

Sorry to jump into this thread but I have the same issue.

However I do have a VM folder container added then then excluded a couple VMs within this container.
I noticed that the last replication job that ran was trying to replicate these excluded VMs.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

deebsr wrote:I noticed that the last replication job that ran was trying to replicate these excluded VMs.
Shaun, what do you mean by "was trying"? Were these VMs replicated or at least started to be processed?
Have you contacted support for assistance?