Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
George
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: George

Veeam Import and Backup

Post by George »

Hi Guys,

I have some Veeam backups that i collected from a V5 installation and would like to import and run these backups on V6.

Is such thing possible and how do i do it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Import and Backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To restore VMs from backups made by the previous versions of Veeam B&R, please use "Import" functionality which is available in the Veeam backup console.

Importing v5 backup files and then mapping v6-jobs to these files is not possible. In order to upgrade your v5 installations to v6 (reuse existing backup files to continue running incremental passes), please follow the upgrade procedure mentioned in the Release Notes document (page 11). Thanks!
mstoeckle
Novice

Post by mstoeckle »

Hi Vitaly,

I upgraded 5.0.2 to 6.1 and followed the Release Notes instructions (p. 11). However, there are no specific instructions on how to reuse 5.x backup files nor how to append incrementals.

Any hint on how to achieve that?

Thanks, Martin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Martin,

Reading back through my reply above, it is not possible to import v5 backups to re-use them with v6 backup jobs.

If you want to re-use v5 backup files with v6 backup jobs, you should at least have one successful job run using Veeam B&R v6, see this topic for more details: Upgrade multiple v5 servers to v6

Thanks!
mstoeckle
Novice

Post by mstoeckle »

Hi Vitaly,

thanks for the clarification - so the bottom line is you can't continue an incremental chain after upgrading to V6 without running a V6 full in between to create the necessary metadata files?
If so, this might be worth being mentioned in the release notes.

Regards,

Martin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

mstoeckle wrote:so the bottom line is you can't continue an incremental chain after upgrading to V6 without running a V6 full in between to create the necessary metadata files?
No, the point is that backup job mapping cannot be performed with v5 backup files, you need to have v6 backup files.

If you're doing an in place upgrade of your existing Veeam B&R server, then you shouldn't worry about that at all, just continue running your backup jobs as usual, all your backup files will be upgraded automatically. Thanks!