Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aaronpriest
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron D. Priest

Veeam Installer service on Synology Linux Host won't upgrade with v12

Post by aaronpriest »

I know this is not a support forum and I'm not allowed to ask for support. I'm using the community edition in a home lab to backup my kid's laptops so I don't have tech support or a Case ID. I use a Synology NAS as a Linux host for a backup repository. This worked great under v11. I upgraded to v12 this morning and the Linux host is out of date and won't update. I've tried everything I can think of to remove, update, or create a new one and can't find any new tips to try that I haven't already tried reading the documentation and searching the forums. I won't post screenshots or mention what the errors are since this isn't a support forum and I don't want to violate community rules, but I wanted to raise awareness of my issue in case others are having similar problems updating from 11 to 12 with a Linux host (or specifically a Synology NAS) as a backup repository. It didn't work in my test lab, in case others want to try and test it. I'm creating a new VM and restoring my server back to v11 in the meantime since I found no solution.
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Re: Veeam Installer service on Synology Linux Host won't upgrade with v12

Post by micoolpaul »

Hey,

Why not post over on community.Veeam.com if you get stuck? We’re always doing best-effort community-led support over here :)
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
aaronpriest
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron D. Priest

Re: Veeam Installer service on Synology Linux Host won't upgrade with v12

Post by aaronpriest »

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that resource, I'll check it out. ;-)

I should include an update and amend the last sentence of my original post:
The reason I went to a Linux host on my Synology for a backup repository is because performance suffered greatly sometime after v10 and during v11 with an update. By installing the Data Mover service on the Synology itself as a Linux host, I got my normal network throughput back. I could not get the Data Mover service to update or reinstall with v12 and I was going to roll back to v11 again, but I tried switching my Backup Repository back to a simple SMB from the Veeam server with no Data Mover service (like I had run under v10) and I don't notice any drop in performance with v12 like I had with v11. Once I switched my backup jobs to the new SMB backup repository, I was able to delete the previous one and then the Linux host, and all seems to be working fine under v12 without it.