Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JasonPGTF
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Oon

Veeam integration with Dell EMC's AppSync

Post by JasonPGTF »

Hi all, is there any site or documentation which I can refer to on how Veeam can integrate with EMC's AppSync solution?
Basically our plan is for Veeam to call AppSync CLI to initiate snapshot from the storage layer then Veeam will take this snapshot and backup it to the repo.
We're doing this because currently we're embarking on a storage tech refresh project & the storage we're going to is EMC's latest PowerStore solution. Unfortunately currently powerstore isn't certified by veeam to perform storage snapshot integration, so EMC's team is providing a workaround by utilizing their AppSync software to take the snapshot & Veeam to backup the snapshot to repo.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam integration with Dell EMC's AppSync

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I guess it's possible, but complicated. I would stick with direct SAN backup instead of doing complex scripting.

EMC can develop the Veeam storage integration plugin for PowerStore on their own. Dell EMC has access to the Veeam Universal Storage API.

Best regards,
Hannes
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Unfortunately, I am joining you--JasonPGTF--in this situation. I had scoped backup from storage snapshot, counting on new EMC SC series hardware. But now we're quoting the PowerStore hardware due to EMC SC going end of life as a product, and yet there is no storage integration plugin yet. I can't use direct SAN backup because that still results in the VMware "stun" symptom during the snapshot process. And this design requires 3 hour RPO for replications, during business hours. No idea when Veeam or EMC will create the plugin. How did you fare with your situation?
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

>And this design requires 3 hour RPO for replications

With CDP around, why not just use that? Snapshotless and fast, beats 3 hour RPO by a mile. (or exactly if you want it)
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

CDP is interesting, and I am keen to try it out. But we don't base 100k solutions (production upfit and availability solution) on brand new features. We go with what has been around for a long time.