Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JTT
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JTT

Veeam - keeping old restore points

Post by JTT »

One VM was needed to have more restore points, so i removed that VM from old backup job and created a new one with longer retention.
The VM is still shown in the old job Disk backups, but with every backup a restore point is removed.
But how to change this behavior?
The old job had 30 restore points, but i want to keep all of them for the VM, that was removed from the old job.
Old backup jobs says: "VMname is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional", but it is removing restore points, that i want to keep!

Unfortunately, the repository does not have "Use per VM backup files" enabled. How would it affect, if i enable this now?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam - keeping old restore points

Post by PetrM »

Hello!

I'd suggest to have a look at this article and increase retention value for deleted items.

Thanks!
JTT
Service Provider

Post by JTT »

Remove deleted items data is set after 31 days! But it started removing restore point just after the VM was removed from the old job.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

do you have synthetic or full backups scheduled?
Retention policy for deleted items does not function if you enable synthetic full backups and/or active full backup and per-vm is disabled.
JTT
Service Provider

Post by JTT »

Nope, the old backup job is incremental, without active or synthetic full backups.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

This is the expected behavior for forever incremental mode: merge happens after each backup session and data blocks from the first incremental backup file are injected into the full backup file (both of these files contain data blocks that belong to deleted VM). The last incremental file in the chain doesn't contain blocks of deleted VM because this VM is no longer processed by the job and the total number of restore points for the deleted VM is decremented every run.
You can increase number of restore points to keep on disk in order to postpone merge.

Please let us know if you have some questions.