Veeam Linux Appliance

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Veeam Linux Appliance

Veeam Logoby totoche » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 am

+1 for a Linux proxy backup and Wan accelerator.
because the cost of licensing is limiting. Appliance of course
totoche
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Totoche

Veeam Logoby colossus610 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:52 am 3 people like this post

Delo123 wrote:Please don't remove the "windows application", ever. Please please please no HTML5 stuff as main application.

Better than Flash...*ahem* looks sideways at the other product we all know did THAT to us...')
colossus610
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Bryan Mroch

Veeam Logoby mcz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:54 am

Many people here and out there are requesting linux proxies and all that has been said from veeam side was "We would like but there are some technical limitations which make it impossible for using linux as proxy appliance".

Ok, good to know but I'm curious to hear what the limitations are... From a customer's point of view, the roles of a proxy are:

- reading data from disks
- sending data over network to repository
- connecting with os's for script execution, vss, etc.

I think the first two arguments could also be managed by linux, probably the last one would be more tricky or even impossible. Are my assumptions right or is it more about incompatibilities with file systems and such things?

I know that we are here talking about technical details which could be top secret for veeam and I understand that veeam tries to hide those information, but probably there is a way to give us here a better understanding why only windows can do the job without giving too much information. Sometimes you have discussions about licensing and costs and then you should be able to argue why only windows can do the job...
mcz
Expert

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Michael

Veeam Logoby owen.wright » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:35 am

+1 for linux backup proxy and veeam appliance in general.
owen.wright
Service Provider

Full Name: Owen Wright

Veeam Logoby bertdhont » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm

+1 for linux backup proxy!!
bertdhont
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bert D'hont

Veeam Logoby kawiMTF » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:37 pm

mcz wrote:Many people here and out there are requesting linux proxies and all that has been said from veeam side was "We would like but there are some technical limitations which make it impossible for using linux as proxy appliance".

Ok, good to know but I'm curious to hear what the limitations are... From a customer's point of view, the roles of a proxy are:

- reading data from disks
- sending data over network to repository
- connecting with os's for script execution, vss, etc.

I think the first two arguments could also be managed by linux, probably the last one would be more tricky or even impossible. Are my assumptions right or is it more about incompatibilities with file systems and such things?

I know that we are here talking about technical details which could be top secret for veeam and I understand that veeam tries to hide those information, but probably there is a way to give us here a better understanding why only windows can do the job without giving too much information. Sometimes you have discussions about licensing and costs and then you should be able to argue why only windows can do the job...

I think, but that's just my personal view, it is because of Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service. I'm not a Linux pro. I don't know if there is a tool, or something, that can be executed from Linux, to execute a VSS within Windows OS. But as we know it already, Veeam is "agentless", but that means only that the VSS agent is injected during runtime of backup and removed afterwards. So it's not really a Linux thing. Also Linux should be able to inject a Windows service into a Windows VM and remove it after backup.
Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
Veeam Platinum Partner
Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
vExpert / VCA6-DVC / VCA5-DVC / VCA5-Cloud
MCP / MCSA 2012
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
kawiMTF
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Veeam Logoby YouGotServered » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:18 am 1 person likes this post

I've gotta agree here, +1 for a Linux proxy appliance. My SQL team would go bananas if I deployed a Veeam proxy on their production VM so that I could get faster backups off that host ;)

The Windows proxies are fantastic, don't get me wrong, but we would definitely see wider adoption if there were a free (aka, non $900 for 2 2016 VMs if you only have 8 cores or less) option.
YouGotServered
Service Provider

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:04 am

YouGotServered wrote:we would definitely see wider adoption if there were a free (aka, non $900 for 2 2016 VMs if you only have 8 cores or less) option.

But you don't have to go with Windows Server? Remember we support client OS versions as well, which are the same exact kernel as Windows Server - but so much cheaper. And you still get automatic and prompt security patching for those, which is a big benefit over Linux appliances, where you are dependent on the vendor to find vulnerabilities and issues patches (and no vendor will ever have a security team on staff with hundreds of world's best security engineers constantly looking for vulnerabilities, like Microsoft has).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2433 times

Veeam Logoby totoche » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:12 am

And they do not stop in finding ...
totoche
Novice

Full Name: Totoche

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication