Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
surfingoncloud
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Snapshot

Veeam Merges slow - IOPS vs Read speed

Post by surfingoncloud »

Hi Team,

We are a a cloud service provider and we run into performance problems on our QNAP TS-1263U-RP NAS -- I setup a RAID 6 LUN - Veeam server is connected to the QNAP via (LUN) which we connect via iSCSI and we have a ReFs partition on it. We use only the following disk - Disk: Seagate Model: ST16000NE000-2RW103

The problem is that our merges and health checks are really slow they dont even make progress also the backup job fails because they dont finish in time (24h) - Merges run since 40h+ because the jobs dont finish. I think the problem is because of the Read speed. Disk 1 to Disk 6 are used as a cloud repository at the moment - disk 8 to disk 12 are new disks which we just bought but if you check the read speed it is really slow but the IOPS is high.

As you can see on the picture below the read speed is way below the range where it should be 125MB/sec for all of them but the IOPs is high - except Disk 1 and Disk2 which get 248 MB/sec and they are even in use at the moment..

Is the IOP more important for Veeam Backups or the Read speed and could that be the issue that we run into problems because the read speed is so slow?

https://ibb.co/qgWpy5Z
We have another QNAP and all jobs are running perfectly fine over there but we just have 12 TB Segate disk in there so I am not sure what the problem is.

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Merges slow - IOPS vs Read speed

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi, both merge and health check are heavy random I/O while you're looking at the sequential one.
surfingoncloud
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Snapshot

Post by surfingoncloud »

Is there a good way how I could do a check like that on my QNAP?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Try DiskSpd tool.
/Thanks!