Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
deltaxray
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam not deleting old restore points

Post by deltaxray »

We have a job which appears to not be deleting old restore points, which came to light because the drive is almost full.

Veeam 6.5.109
Job config:
Restore points to keep: 14
Incremental
Synthetic full every Saturday
Transform into rollbacks enabled

However in the destination folder there are over 60 vib files, 1 vbm file, and no VBK file (which I thought there should be some VBK files?). The job says sucessful each time it is run except it is now giving warnings about disk space.

If I look in the log it shows things like:

[RetentionAlgorithm] Vm 'vmname' contained 62 points and 0 from them have been removed.

Why were 0 of them removed? Why is it not acting according to the retention policy? Can I simply delete old vib files in the short term?

Any help on this appreciated. I am currently awaiting being added as a licence admin before I can log a proper support ticket which is proving quite difficult.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam not deleting old restore points

Post by foggy »

Is this job chained to be run after some other job?
deltaxray
Novice

Post by deltaxray »

No it is daily at a set time.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please confirm that your job does start on Saturdays?
deltaxray
Novice

Post by deltaxray »

Yes it does start and finishes as sucessful. The log shows the same lines as above saying there are 60odd restore points and 0 have been removed. Might it be to do with missing VBK files? All the other configured jobs have vbk files and are operating as expected.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There should be VBK file, otherwise the job will fail (you can check whether there is a full restore point available if you start restore for this job). I recommend contacting support so they could review your job configuration and what is really happening.
deltaxray
Novice

Post by deltaxray »

There are no vbk files. Only lots of vib and one vbm. I am surprised that the job finishes and says sucessful if it does not have a vbk file and needs it.

Looks like i've just been added as licence admin so will log a ticket.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What do you see in terms of restore points selection, if you start the restore for one of the VMs backed up by this job?
deltaxray
Novice

Post by deltaxray »

There is over 60 restore points if I go to initiate a restore.

In fact looking at it, it says there is a Full as the oldest restore point, and the file this corresponds with is a .VIB file (which is naturally a lot bigger than the rest of the VIB files). I am surprised this one isn't a VBK? Either way it seems to be reading the files OK.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The whole situation looks totally strange. Everything points out that the oldest restore point is full backup: the fact that forward restore points have not been deleted, the size of oldest restore point, the restore operations, etc. Can you, please, post your ticket number here, once the case is open? We would like to take a look at it. Thanks.
deltaxray
Novice

Post by deltaxray »

Case # 00581470

I just sent in some screenshots of the job disk properties in veeam showing the restore points and screenshots of the folder to show there are no vbk files as the support person didn't believe me.

I can't ftp from here so I hope the email attachments were added to the ticket for you to see.