Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MSc
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Martin Schenker

Veeam on MS Server 2022

Post by MSc »

Is there anything known about Windows Server 2022 and incompatibilities with Veeam?

We're about to upgrade some server from 2019 to 2022 and I'd like to know if there are any stumbling blocks... esp. the Veeam Server itself.

Best, Martin
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam on MS Server 2022

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Martin,

Official support for Windows Server 2022 is coming with v11a, which is expected to arrive next month if nothing unexpected pops up.

Thanks
MSc
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Martin Schenker

Post by MSc » 2 people like this post

Thanks for the VERY quick and concise reply!

Veeam Forum at it's best! I'm impressed...
PariPari
Expert
Liked: 10 times

Post by PariPari »

Hey,
is there a workaround for backing up Windows 2022?
One of our "quicker" customers already migrated all of his DCs to Windows 2022.... and noticed afterwards, that the backups are failing.
The Backup for these VMs fails with
Error: Unable to perform guest file system indexing: Unknown Operating System guest OS type is not supported for indexing.

I know i can turn on VSS ignore processing, but since these are DCs, an application consistent state would be nice..
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Please note that your error looks to be about guest file system indexing. It never says there are any issues with application-aware processing, so it might be working.

The biggest issue here though is that your customer is currently running a totally unsupported configuration. They made Veeam interact directly with an OS version that is completely unknown to the current code, using the logic developed for a different (previous) OS version. This can potentially lead to anything including data losses, corrupted Active Directory following the domain controller restore etc.
Ciso_2021
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Julien Ange

Post by Ciso_2021 »

We have two VM Server 2022 running RDS server.
we are backing them witithout any issues
We are on Build 10.0.0.837 P20210525 / vCenter 7.0.2 Build 17958471 / VMware ESXi, 7.0.2, 17867351
we dont wanna update the vCenter to 7.0.2.00.400 as we dont know if there any compatibility issues with VEEAM
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

I never understand, why someone wants to update to a new version, before checking if everything in the datacenter ecosystem having the correct support with the new version. This should be on top of the prerequisites list for every technician. Checking the compatibility with every connected system :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose » 3 people like this post

MSc wrote: Aug 25, 2021 10:54 am Is there anything known about Windows Server 2022 and incompatibilities with Veeam?

We're about to upgrade some server from 2019 to 2022 and I'd like to know if there are any stumbling blocks... esp. the Veeam Server itself.
Be sure if you have SQL Express on the current Veeam server you move the DB to another SQL server as Express 2016 is not supported on Win2022 from what I have read. So this could be a stumbling block but if your DB is already in full SQL then no worries.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Ciso_2021
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Julien Ange

Post by Ciso_2021 »

@chris i have update VEEAM server 2019 to 2022 with it default installation,
it working wihtout any issues.
today we have deploy a failover and restore a VM to check if everything is working and it seems to works fine.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

Great to hear it works. Maybe upgrades work just not new installs of 2022 then Veeam.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
PariPari
Expert
Liked: 10 times

Post by PariPari » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote: Sep 14, 2021 11:06 am Please note that your error looks to be about guest file system indexing. It never says there are any issues with application-aware processing, so it might be working.

The biggest issue here though is that your customer is currently running a totally unsupported configuration. They made Veeam interact directly with an OS version that is completely unknown to the current code, using the logic developed for a different (previous) OS version. This can potentially lead to anything including data losses, corrupted Active Directory following the domain controller restore etc.
Yeah, well the customer was a quick one. He already upgraded 10 of his VMs to 2022, including all onPrem DCs in less than 2 days. I guess it was a busy weekend :-D
You are right, the error is about indexing, but its the same error for appliation awareness. Its just that indexing comes first.

We noticed that the customer was still on March patch and upgraded the Veeam installation to May update. The Application Awareness for the 2022 VMs are now working again, a test restore was okay too. We are now patiently awaiting official support and told the customer to wait a bit longer next time :-)