Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
robpettit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rob Pettit

Veeam + Openfiler Setup

Post by robpettit »

We are just installing a new ESX 4.1 infrastructure and we are looking to use Openfiler to store our Veeam Backups. We are now purchasing a HP SAN and have historically used Openfiler as our SAN. We wish to utilize our 'old' openfiler SAN as a backup location.

Is anyone else using Openfiler for this purpose? Are there any instructions on the configuration of Openfiler for best practice with Veeam. I will be using Veeam Essentials Plus and Openfiler 2.3.

Many thanks

Rob
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam + Openfiler Setup

Post by Gostev »

Hi Rob, unrelated to specific storage, best practice is presenting your backup LUN to backup server over iSCSI through Software iSCSI Initiator. You can find some information on configuring that in the sticky FAQ topic. You can also search this forum for Openfiler to read up other users' experiences. Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Openfiler is a Linux based software appliance, so my suggestion is to add it as a Linux backup target, unless of course it does not have much horsepower.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Uh, that's right. This totally escaped my mind that OpenFiler is pretty much regular Linux server.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

You first answer may still be the best way if the Openfiler is relatively weak from a CPU perspective and the Veeam server has more CPU horsepower. However, if the Openfiler head unit has decent CPU's, then you cant beat the Linux target option.