Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN question

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

I install the Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN and I checked this site which is related to the backup repository permission:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

I have a question: If I specify an account to has access permission the repository, where can I give this account? When I open the RMAN configuration wizard I can give only the account which has local admin permission on Veeam server.

I am confused.

Thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN question

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

In the plug-in configuration wizard you provide the account to access Veeam B&R server, this account must have access permissions to a repository that you're going to use as a target for backup jobs.

Thanks!
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Yes, the account on this step must have access permissions on repository.

Thanks!
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Okay, and this account has to be in local admin on Veeam B&R server.

During the Veeam deploying I created a technical account for services. This account is in local admin group. What is the best prastise and your suggestion? Can I use this service account for RMAN or create a new dedicated account for RMAN and add the Veeam B&R server local admin group and also add this account to repository access permission?

Thanks.
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Anyone?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Create a new user within Windows Computer Management and give it local user rights so that this account is NOT an admin within Veeam nor on the local system. Same would work with Active Directory accounts if the Backup Server is a member of the domain (which is not best practices for ransomware/security reasons).
Go to the Repository, right click and add it to the "Access Permissions..." so that Agents/Plug-ins can access.

Install the RMAN Plug-in on the Oracle System and start the wizard. Use the above created account to authenticate against the Veeam Backup Server and select the Repository that you enabled the user for at the second step.
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Okay, but the repository permission has everyone and what happens when restrict only for this user? Every backup job will still send backuo data to this repository like before?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

The "Access Permissions..." do only matter for external backups from Agents and Plug-ins. It does not affect the VMware VM processing.
If it is set to "Everyone" then every user that can authenticate against the Veeam Server can access the Repository with Agents/Plug-ins.
Backups are owned by specific users, so the users will see only their backups (unless the user has Backup/Restore Operator rights in Veeam).

So you can create the user and the user can authenticate if it set to "Everyone" or you can change this and give only specific users access.
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Thanks for you post. But what happens when I have some Agent backup job, where the agent computer managed by Veeam server?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

I will ask a Agent team member to comment about this.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

adam900331,

By setting up a dedicated user in the access permission tab you allow the account set in the B&R server step of the agent job wizard to connect with B&R repository. Changing 'everyone' to specific user should not break anything as long as that specific user account is set in the agent set of the wizard.
Agent backup job, where the agent computer managed by Veeam server?
Jobs managed by B&R does not use access permissions. Access is granted via 'child' certificates created from the root certificate set in the B&R ensuring that every agent can connect to the repo and, at the same time, can see only it's own backup files.

Hope it helps!