logos
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Logos Technologies

Veeam Questions

Post by logos »

Hello all,
I have 2 important questions to make to you about Veeam features

1) Could cause any problems having a machine with more then 1 TB of DISK?

2) Usually, if i've a backup's cycle made by 10 elements (1 full and 10 incrementals), when all were made, the cycle restarts deleting
the old ones and doing again a full backup cycle.
if in the middle, it appends some error as "Backup failure", why the cycle becomes corrupt?
A question: must i wait a second FULL cycle why the old backups delete themselves, I'm wrong? It's right this behaviour?

If the error comes again cycle by cycle is there any risk that my storage device can finish his disk space?

Thanks in advance
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Questions

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Could cause any problems having a machine with more then 1 TB of DISK?
Nope, no issues with that.
if in the middle, it appends some error as "Backup failure", why the cycle becomes corrupt?
If you encounter some corruption issue in the middle of backup chain, not the whole backup chain will be affected, but rather restore points, starting from “corrupted” one.
It's right this behaviour?
It depends on what backup mode is being used. In case of reversed incremental, the oldest restore points gets deleted, once specified retention interval is exceeded. In case of forward incremental, you will have to wait till new full backup is created and backup chain reaches required length. Kindly, take a look at this topic, since it provides pretty descriptive information regarding how forward incremental mode works.

Thanks.
logos
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Logos Technologies

Post by logos »

Thanks for the answer but let me know:

- If i use Incremental backup + Active Full backup without "Enable Synthetic fulls" i will have "the problem" of a lot of restore points but even if i'll have some errors i always have an incremental point where i can restore. Is this correct?

- Btw if i put Reserved incremental...If i have an error inside the backup chain, at the next first full backup the previous chain will be deleted?

Thanks in advance
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

1. Active Full is a completely new backup, that gets the data directly from production storage, it is self-contained and does not depend on any previous backups.
2. Active Full will retain the existing chain, and which will then go away according to retention.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The number of restore points depends on the retention settings and does not depend on the type of full backup selected in the job properties. To restore from the particular restore point, you need the whole backup chain including its corresponding full backup. In case of some restore point is corrupt, you will be able to restore from any of the previous restore points, but not from the ones created after the corruption.