Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Veeam replica, VBK seed not being picked up by destination repository?

Post by cerberus »

Using VBR10; transferred a large VBK using USB method to our D/R to use for replica seed. When I try to re-scan the repository, it does not pick up the VBK on disk.

The source backup job is a reverse incremental job. I basically used robocopy to offload the B2D VBK onto USB stick.

Reading the forums it says I also need VBM file. I don't have this file (I copied from backup job, and not auxiliary backup copy job), is there a way to use VBK seed without VBM?

If I use "Import Backup" on the VBK this works, but this is no good as the replica job maps to a repository; would restoring VM into target vCenter from imported VBK work? Using "map replicas to existing VMs" instead of "get seed from repo" in this case?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Veeam replica, VBK seed not being picked up by destination repository?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Cerberus.

- every backup job has a .vbm, it should be alongside .vbk you copied from initially.
- yes, .vbm is essential for seeding, backup metadata is there. It is mere kilobytes in size.
- and yes, Replica Mapping should work just fine from restored VM

/Cheers!
cerberus
Expert

Post by cerberus »

I do have a VBM for the master job at source, what I did is robocopy the VBK from backup job and not backup copy job; the later would have created the VM VBK/VBM to copy for seeding.

I read https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... tml?ver=90 so I understand what I need to do next time, just wondering if there is anything I can do not to loose this seed progress, i'll try restoring VM from imported VBK and mapping replication job to restored VM instead; hopefully that works.
cerberus
Expert

Post by cerberus »

When creating a secondary backup copy job to export VBK/VBM file for replica seeding; with the new files created is it safe to assume there should not be any fragmentation at play? The backup copy job is copying from a backup repository that may be heavily fragmented (RI on ReFS without any active full backups for well over a year).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Backup copy will create a brand new full backup copying only the required blocks from the source, so there will be no fragmentation.
cerberus
Expert

Post by cerberus »

Thanks foggy for confirming.