Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ivan_cecoel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ivan Hidalgo

Veeam Replication & Backup Block Exchange 2010

Post by ivan_cecoel »

Hi, I have a problem with my backup and replication with Veeam 4.1. I have a Exchange 2010 Server and when I do the backup or the replication job, when the jobs are finishing and removing the snapshot disconnect the Exchange 2010 (ping don't answer) and after 5 minutes then return the network. It's a problem because all Outlooks don't work in this 5 minutes.
I have the VSS active and the squiescence, and do the jobs with vStorage API in Network mode.

Thank you so much!
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Re: Veeam Replication & Backup Block Exchange 2010

Post by joergr »

Hello,

this is not VEEAM problem but a vmware related thing. at which time do you take the backup? Which storage? Be aware that during worktime snapshots could grow quite huge which will result in very long snapshot merge times. ESX Version you are using with your virtual e2010?

best regards,
Joerg
ivan_cecoel
Novice

Post by ivan_cecoel »

I do a Backup at 0.00, and a replication at 14.00, the storage are 190 Gb, 150 Gb for DBs and 40 for system.
My ESX version are 4.0.0.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

You should upgrade your ESX host to version 4.1, reportedly it enhances snapshot commit performance dramatically.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

To give you an example, we're seeing snapshot consolidation times that are 30-40% less that with 4.0, and in some cases even better, even though everything else is exactly the same. Now this could be something unique to our environment as I've always thought our snapshot consolidations were too slow (they used to be faster under ESX 2.x and 3.x). It could have been that 4.0 was somehow slower at this operation with our Qlogic HBA iSCSI adapters or something, but we think it has more to do with the new reduction in required iSCSI reservations for the VMFS volume across the cluster (just a theory).

We really expect to see improvement when we eventually enable VAAI, but we're taking the conservative approach on that feature at this point.
ivan_cecoel
Novice

Post by ivan_cecoel »

Wow, I upgrade my VMWare to 4.1 first of all, thank you so much for your answers.