Veeam Replication Best Practice and Veeam location

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Veeam Replication Best Practice and Veeam location

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Wherever you want it to be. Here is the description.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: [MERGED] DR/Backup Strategy Design Review

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:13 pm

kmfyhr wrote:Currently my Veeam implementation connects to my vCenter server (local) for backups, if that vCenter is down, how will that impact my ability to power on / restore VMs at the Hot-Site, and how do I get around any difficulties presented by this?

In case your replication jobs are targeted to the DR hosts via vCenter server, you will not be able to failover via Veeam B&R and will have to start replicas manually. So it is worth targeting them to the hosts directly in this case.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Replication - should I create a dedicate VBR server

Veeam Logoby rfn » Mon May 29, 2017 1:37 pm

We have quite recently switched to Veeam Backup & Replication and one of the goals was to replicate our most important VM's to one of our secondary sites, so that we can start them up in case of an emergency in the primary datacenter. In our case it would be 10-20 VM's. We bought a new (VMware) hosts that is almost dedicated for this.

The backup part is up and running fine - beside some stability issues that might be related to ReFS - but we haven't setup the replication yet. Our environment isn't that large... 3 hosts in our primary datacenter, and 3 hosts spread on 3 offices. We have a dedicated VBR server at the datacenter and a repository server at another site. I've been wondering if we should use the dedicated VBR server at the primary datacenter for the replication, or if I should setup a new VBR server on the repository server on the other side, to handle just replication.

The goal is of course to be able to start up the replicated VM's in case of an disaster at the primary datacenter, and that would of course be problematic if the disaster also hits the primary VBR server. The risk of that happening is pretty low, so the question is if I loose any functionality by using another VBR server for replication? Would I complicate things unnecessarily?

What would you suggest?
rfn
Expert

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: René Frej Nielsen

Re: Replication - should I create a dedicate VBR server?

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon May 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi René,

I'd highly recommend you to install dedicated VBR instance on the remote site that will manage replication jobs. You will be able to run failover\failback operations right from its UI in case of losing production site.
Please review this existing topic for additional information.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby rfn » Tue May 30, 2017 7:54 am

OK... I will review this thread and setup a dedicated VBR instance on the remote site. Thanks!
rfn
Expert

Veeam Logoby rfn » Tue May 30, 2017 5:29 pm

OK... one more question... The host that will be used as a disaster recovery server, and host the replicated virtual machines, is also used for some productions VM's and is a member of the central vCenter.

If the primary datacenter is down, then we will also loose our vCenter, and then the VBR server handling replication will have no way of doing it's failover. I guess it's not a good idea to connect the replication VBR to the hosts directly (both production and DR) since that will cause a lot of things to happen without vCenter knowing it. That's not best practice, right?

Can you suggest a way to set this up so that it will work? I guess that I could get a vSphere Essentials license for the DR host so that it could get it's own vCenter, since it's just one standalone host that doesn't have to be able to vMotion to the primary datacenter. Is that a solution?
rfn
Expert

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Wed May 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi René,

Remote hosts can be added in Veeam B&R Console as part of vCenter Server and at the same time you can add them directly for replication purposes.
You will be able to start failover even when the production site is down.
Please keep in mind if you are going to add existing host in a direct way it should have a different name, for example, you can use the IP address instead of the DNS name. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rfn » Wed May 31, 2017 6:48 pm

OK... but when a replicated VM is registered on the DR host, then it should be done through vCenter, right? Otherwise these VM's will be kind of "rouge", or isn't that a problem at all?

If day to day replication is done by communicating with vCenter, and then someday vCenter is gone, will VBR still know that the replicated VM's on the DR host, registered by it's IP address, are the same as the ones it has replicated through vCenter, so the re-IP settings still work? Do I explain is this in an understandable way?

Would it be better if the DR host is a part of another vCenter, fx. obtained by a Essentials license? In that way the replicated VM's will not be a part of the production vCenter and the DR setup would not be relying on the production vCenter that would be lost in a disaster.

A third solution would be to restore the vCenter server on the secondary site and change it's IP address to an address in the IP range of the secondary site. The secondary site has DC's that are part of the same domain that is running on the primary site, so it would just be a matter of changing the static IP in the DNS and then vCenter would be "up" (since it's referred by it's DNS name).

I have focused a lot on a complete disaster, where the primary site is completely gone for an extended time. However it's important the the replication setup will also work in a situation where the primary site is not completely gone and where the production vCenter might still be available, but we for some reason would like to fail over to the secondary site for some VM's. In this scenario it's important that fail back will work, so the setup must not be a "hack".

I really appreciate the input!
rfn
Expert

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Rene,

This isn't a problem at all, as replicated VMs already have unique IDs.
Important to switch your services in case of disaster to another site and apply re-IP settings, since Veeam would know the IDs of original VMs, you will be able to initiate failback without a problem.
In any case, both ways would work: standalone host or separate vCenter server.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rfn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:51 pm

So I should add the DR host as a standalone host (even if it's already added as a member of vCenter), fx. with its IP address, and choose that as replication target. What will happen with the VM replicas in vCenter, when they're added to the host directly? I could of course test to see what happens, but it's always nice to know if it's bad practice to do it this way.
rfn
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Hello René,
As Dmitry mentioned, there is not much of difference if you use standalone host or vCenter as DR, failover mechanism will work same way.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby rfn » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:07 am

OK... I will test it out to see if it works the way I have understood it from this thread. Thanks!
rfn
Expert

Veeam Logoby YouGotServered » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:04 pm

In regards to the metadata storage - if you store it on your production site (which I assume is for performance), what functionality do you lose if your production site goes down? Does Veeam store a copy of that metadata in the DR site, provided you have a VBR instance there as well? I thought you needed the metadata, so I'm a little confused as to how things would function if it was lost.
YouGotServered
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Veeam Logoby rweis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:23 pm

You can safely remove <lose> metadata, it will be rebuilt on the next job run (though this run will take a bit longer than usual). (credit to Foggy for this in another forum entry)
rweis
Veeam Software

Liked: 7 times
Location: South Coast Massachusetts - best scallops & cod in the world!
Full Name: Randy Weis

Veeam Logoby YouGotServered » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Got it. Is there a link to Foggy's forum entry? I'd like to read through it!

I'm assuming it can only be rebuilt if the sql data is present, correct? If not, I guess my whole understanding of the relationship between metadata, the SQL DB, and how they work together is probably a bit messed up.
YouGotServered
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cory Wallace

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication