Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Netanel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Netanel Ben-Shushan

Veeam: Replication Design Question

Post by Netanel »

Hi,

I'm planning to deploy Veeam B&R v7 in order to replicate 25 VMs (Maximum - 50 VMs in the future) between production site to DR site by using 20/20MBps (not Mbps) dedicated line.
I read the Deployment & Best Practices guide, but just to make sure that my deployment is fine with some expert who perform implementations in this field.

Production Site
3 x VMware vSphere 5.5 ESXi hosts in a cluster managed by vCenter (IBM xSystem hardware)
25 VMs that I need to replicate to the DR site (2 VMs need to be replicated every 15 mins, the rest every 1 Hour)
EMC iSCSI SAN with 1TB VMFS data stores for VMware

DR Site
1 x Physical host with 96GB RAM (enough for the 25 VMs - total required RAM is 32GB, IBM xSystem hardware as well)
IBM iSCSI SAN N-Series with 1TB VMFS data stores for VMware

I thought to install VMware ESXi at the DR site and connect it to VMFS data store (to contain the replicas), at the DR site I'll install the Veeam B&R 7 on a VM and poll the VMs from the Production site.

Is a single Veeam machine is enough for that configuration? or you recommend on other configuration?

The goal of this deployment is to perform failover & failback at the replication level, no backup level right now.

Thanks. :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam: Replication Design Question

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Netanel,

Your configuration looks good to me. Installing Veeam B&R server on the remote site will allow you to run failover/failback process when your main sites goes down. Also since you have a SAN storage on the production site, I would recommend using either virtual or physical proxy server (located on the main site) in direct SAN processing mode, this will give you best job performance possible.

Thank you!
Netanel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Netanel Ben-Shushan

Post by Netanel »

Thank you!
There's any template(s) of Veeam for partners/IT Pros regarding project plan?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you mean the DR runbook?