Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
morciod
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: debra morcio

Veeam Replication moving target replicas to new Vcenter

Post by morciod »

We currently have many Veeam replication TARGETs going to Vcenter01 (5.1). We are not modifiying the source vm's Vcenter but plan to migrate the target VMware hosts (esxi) and replicas to the new Vcenter02 (5.5)

What can I do to maintain the current job configuration and target VMware replicas?
I am guessing the migration will break the link to the target vm's. we use folders for the targets which we know will not be there after the initial migration to new vcenter

Thank you
Debbie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Replication moving target replicas to new Vcenter

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Debra, after migration, you would need to add new vCenter to Veeam B&R console and map your replication jobs to the corresponding replica VMs.
morciod
Influencer

Post by morciod » 1 person likes this post

so to make sure I understand the process: I see in the replication job where I would edit and select the option "low connection bandwidth (enable replica seeding) I selected this and it added the 'seeding' configuration option. assuming the new vcenter has been added and the clients were migrated, I can edit this to point to the replica in the new vcenter and the job will continue processing
foggy
Veeam Software

Correct.
morciod
Influencer

Post by morciod »

Finally an easy process! Thank you!
DavidDAVE
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Jesus

Post by DavidDAVE »

Sorry for the up after 2 years, but we are on a similar scenario, updating from 5.1 to 5.5

Our problem is that the digest process (comparing HDDs) is quite slowly (from 2 hours for a 30gb VM to 1 day for a 700gb one). Is this process going to repeat again if we move to a new vCenter? And in the "seed" tab of the replication job, which option should we choose, the repository or the mapping one? Both?

Other options would be to upgrade the vCenter, but we alredy know that this process includes updating vcenter certifications, which affects backup jobs. Does it affects to the replications jobs?

Thanks a lot in advance!!
foggy
Veeam Software

Yes, digests need to be recalculated in case of moving to another vCenter, unless you ask support for assistance with matching VM ID's in the database. To map the jobs to existing replicas, you need to select them under Replica mapping section.
DavidDAVE
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Jesus

Post by DavidDAVE »

Thank you very much for your quick answer foggy.

Just in case, as I have notice I did not mention it on the previous post, we are considering to move the replicated VMs and target hosts to a new vcenter, not the source ones. We have a case related with this, #01702898. When we consider upgrading vcenter, we also mean the secondary one.

We were wondering to move the target hosts (secondary CPD) to the main vcenter, but this will also cause digesting again. I think we'll go through it anyway.