Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vmjunkie
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Replication over WAN without VPN

Post by vmjunkie »

Hello Guys,

I have Veeam Backup and Replication 6.5 and I am trying to setup a replication job over the WAN to a DR site. I presently don't have a VPN setup. I have assigned public IPs to my ESXi and Proxy VM at the DR side. The ports have been opened only between my network and dr site on the both the firewalls.

I was able to add the DR proxy to VM on the DR side. However, when I try to start a replication job, it fails with connect error, port 2501 and lists the name of my local Veaam B&R and its private IP address. From what I understand, the DR proxy server cannot reach my local Veeam B&R server because it is using its private IP 192.168.x.x.
Is there any work around that would allow me to replace this private IP of the Veeam B&R server with Public IP. I have Veeam B&R server also NAT with a public IP.

I know VPN would solve this issue, but I want to figure out if workaround exists as it could be useful in any other environment I will be dealing with.

Thank You in advance for you help.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Replication over WAN without VPN

Post by veremin »

Have you tried to re-add the local proxy server via Public IP, instead of private one? Thanks.
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Re: Veeam Replication over WAN without VPN

Post by crackocain »

Hello

We are trying this replication but we got SOAP fault.

Production Site:
Veeam Console IP: 192.168.100.10
Veeam Local proxy: 192.168.100.15
Local ESX: 192.168.100.20

Disaster site: have public IP address and added Veeam Console and ESX host add public IP address 78.56.23.34
Behind NAT:
Veeam Disaster Proxy: 192.168.50.20
Disaster ESX: 192.168.50.25

How we able to replicate? Could we change disaster proxy and ESX host to public IP address? Or any workaround?
We might set up VPN but performance affected or saturation. Thats why we want to replicate without VPN

Thank you