Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
atike
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex Tooke

Veeam Replication used for DR - HELP! Important

Post by atike »

Hi All,

Today in my company we had a critical SAN failure, which then affected the VM's mid snapshot. Long story short - I have failed over to our DR environment, which is managed/run by Veeam B&R replicating every 30minutes.

The VM's affected are now up and running in the DR enviro - however now wondering how I can get the VM's back onto the production environment (more powerful, better air con etc) using Veeam??

The Original VM's are trashed and are no use - they're all showing as "(invalid)" next to the name :( So how can I put the good and running VM from DR back up to the production environment???

I'm confused by the options - please can someone help me....

Cheers,
Alex
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Re: Veeam Replication used for DR - HELP! Important

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Alex. Happy to hear Veeam replicas saved you in the complete disaster scenario! As long as your production storage is operational, you need to simply use Failback functionality. The wizard will give you a choice of failback targets (existing or new VM), please refer to the User Guide for more information on those. If you are still confused, feel free to open a support case for assistance with failback over a webex session.

Most importantly, you cannot really "screw up" with failback, as we give you a way to easily undo one. There is mandatory "Commit Failback" operation that you need to perform after ensuring your VMs are running fine on the production storage after failback - only after executing that operation the failback will be finalized.

Thanks!
atike
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex Tooke

Post by atike »

Hi Anton,

Thank you for getting back to me!! When I "Failbackto Production" will there be any down time involved??

Thanks,
Alex
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, please refer to the steps 5-10 of the procedure Anton has referred to above. To avoid any data loss, the replica VM is shut down for the duration of final changes transfer, before powering the original VM on.