Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MarcoCruz
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam replication with NVIDIA vGPU Hardware

Post by MarcoCruz »

I have a situation where I have one vm with a NVIDIA GRID vGPU.

I'm trying to configure properly a replication job to these machine but always I have the same result: Processing virtualmachinename Error: The operation is not allowed in the current state.

This vm is very important and I'm sure that shut down it to replicate is not a valid option.

How I can set properly the Veeam Replication Job to take a valid replication from this vm's?

Please let me know and thanks for all the suggestions.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam replication with NVIDIA vGPU Hardware

Post by Mildur »

Hi Marco

Have you tried to do a manual snapshot of such a VM in vCenter? I assume it's not possible.
I remember that in such configurations, VmWare may not support taking VM snapshots.
And without VmWare snapshot, Veeam backup or replication jobs are not possible.

Job fails with error "The operation is not allowed in the current state."

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
MarcoCruz
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by MarcoCruz »

We can backup this VM ith NVIDIA vGPU Hardware using Veeam Agent backup. Is possible to do something like this for replication?

Thanks in advanced.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Veeam Agent does not leverage VM Snapshots. And replication is not possible with Veeam Agent.

I would have recommend you Instant Recovery. Because Instant Recovery can power on an agent backup as a vSphere VM.
However, if vSphere snapshot technology is involved, I believe it will also be unsuccessful. This limitation is not caused by Veeam Backup & Replication, but rather by VMware. Without the ability to create VM snapshots, we will be unable to perform any actions on the VM level with your ESXi host for this particular VM.

I'm afraid, creating a new VM and use the recovery media to restore the machine to a new VM is the only option.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software