Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
xpose
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Repository Disk Space

Post by xpose »

Hi All,

Veeam Case ID: 05785790

Our main repo is becoming low on disk space. It is a 98TB linux reFS repo that has used 204TB and has 9TB free.

All backup jobs retention is set to 30 days, with GFS (12 monthly, 7 yearly).

We also have an offsite repo (same as prod) that is used to store backup copy jobs. The backup copy jobs are also set to 30 days, with GFS (12 monthly, 7 yearly).

My question is: Is this the right way to go about it in terms of utilizing storage? 9TB free on the main repo to me is getting low. Ideally the 12 monthly and 7 yearly should be stored on the offsite repo.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Repository Disk Space

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
10% free is not much, correct. With some growth, you might run out of space.

There is no "right" or "wrong". There is "meets the business needs" or "does not meet the needs".

In most cases, customers copy the most recent restore points to a secondary location, to be sure, that they can recover from the newest restore points. So you could configure the backup copy job exactly the same as the backup job. To save some disk space, I would add weekly synthetic full backups (they are spaceless on XFS / REFS). That would reduce the number of days on disk and give some free space.

Best regards,
Hannes
xpose
Novice
Liked: never

Post by xpose »

Currently all backup jobs on the production repo are set to 30 days, synthetic full on Saturdays, along with GFS set to 12 monthly, 7 yearly. This has resulted in the disk space being consumed.

These backup jobs also have backup copy jobs to which they go offsite and have the same retention as above, however the free disk space on the offsite repo has no issues.

I have now modified the backup retention to 14 days, synthetic full on Saturdays, along with GFS set to 12 monthly, 7 yearly on the prod repo jobs and kept the offsite repo jobs as 30 days, synthetic full on Saturdays, along with GFS set to 12 monthly, 7 yearly.

Am I right to say that after the next backup it will start freeing up disk space?

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
ah perfect, if you have weekly synthetics, that's fine.

yes correct. The retention gets applied after the next job run. After that, you will see more free space.

Best regards,
Hannes