Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hnhn99
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Hakan Hedman

Veeam repository from Netapp, S3 or Repo

Post by hnhn99 »

Hi!. I'll will replace my repository server with 160TB disk with a new Netapp system. I have two netapp systems before and and I'm using snapvault integration with veeam between these two. So this new third netappsystem are for long term archive backups only. My question is how I should configure this in the best way, what are your opion?
1. Use my new netapp as an S3 bucket and have a SOBR that transfers "old" copys to that bucket
2. mount netapp volume with cifs/nfs from an veeam-proxyserver and use a traditional repository
3. use Netapp snapmirror/snapsvult to transfer snapshots between storage systems (it will without veeam)
4. any other idea?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam repository from Netapp, S3 or Repo

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I'll will replace my repository server with 160TB disk with a new Netapp system
Netapp E-Series is fine. FAS systems are a bad idea for backups in general. Too slow, too expensive.

1) Does not work. Netapp FAS S3 implementation is incomplete
2) NFS & SMB are the worst option. Only works with active full. NAS protocols are too slow for synthetic operations
3) possible, but violates 3-2-1 rule (same media)
4) Use a server with REFS / XFS :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
hnhn99
Influencer

Post by hnhn99 »

Thanks for input! It's a FAS2720 so S3 won't work as you say? So you recommend that I mount volumes from Netapp FAS with Iscsi and format them with Refs?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Not really... I recommend Netapp E-Series or a server. It's faster and cheaper :-)

If you really want to go with FAS for whatever non-technical reason, then you need to check, whether everything is on the Windows Server Catalog certified hardware list (should be fine with Netapp). The result is a mess of WAFL and REFS optimizations... possible, but I would never do it.
hnhn99
Influencer

Post by hnhn99 »

I really don't have a choice, it's a FAS2720. :) So now I must make this config as good as possible. How should you do it in best possible way? :)
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

if it's unboxed, sell it :P

iSCSI with REFS / XFS is probably the best you can do. Disabling deduplication & Compression on WAFL should help to improve speed.