Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Veeam Repository on Nutanix

Post by unsichtbarre »

I have a generic question about creating a Veeam Repository on a Nutanix cluster.
The basic idea is to have a low-latency incrimental backup every hour or so, stored right on the Nutanix cluster with the vSphere volumes (remember, these are not VMFS, so not necessarily fully provisioned), then use Backup Copy to move the backups offsite and maintain GFS.

I am leaning toward creating a virtual disk on the Veeam Server, managed by vSphere/Nutanix, then putting the local repository there. That way, the full provisioning, use, reservation is managed by vSphere/Nutanix and any unanticipated growth of the backup volume would be very visible.

The other alternative would be to provision iSCSI with Nutanix and actually create a LUN, mounted to Veeam with the Windows iSCSI initiator.

Any opinions?
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6744 times

Re: Veeam Repository on Nutanix

Post by Gostev »

I always prefer the last option:

1. This will enable you to use any file system for your backup repository, including ReFS.

2. This will give you the flexibility to quickly mount this LUN to any computer at all - even to your laptop - and import backups. Believe or not, but I've actually seen customers restoring entire environments from their laptop with freshly installed B&R, because no other server was left to use due to the disaster.

Thanks!
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Re: Veeam Repository on Nutanix

Post by unsichtbarre »

THX!

We'll use iSCSI!
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com