Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pcoaaron
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Restore and Exchange Mailbox Auditing

Post by pcoaaron »

Hello,

some newbie-questions:

We run an Exchange Server 2010 SP3 as Emailserver in an VM (Vmware).
As a testing purpose i've installed Veeam Backup & Replication 7. I created a simple backup Job with standard settings.
Then i select the Exchange-VM in the console (Backup Tools -> Application Items - MS Exchange -> Restore Point), select an email from one user\mailbox and saved the email locally (save to .msg file).
Everything works fine also the history/log shows everything correct.
Then i take a look on the Exchange Server, especially on the mailbox audit logs.

There were no entries about my access - but because i'm not the original owner of the email (or mailbox) shouldn't there any entries (non-owner mailbox access...)?
Or is it because i'm working only local on the Veeam-Server with a backup-file?

Another question:
Is it possible (in the case above - save to.msg-file) to automatically inform the owner of the mailbox about the restore\export\save?

Thank you very much for your advice!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Restore and Exchange Mailbox Auditing

Post by foggy »

pcoaaron wrote:Or is it because i'm working only local on the Veeam-Server with a backup-file?
Yes, you've restored an item directly from the backup file, without accessing production Exchange server.
pcoaaron wrote:Is it possible (in the case above - save to.msg-file) to automatically inform the owner of the mailbox about the restore\export\save?
No, currently there's no push notifications about restores.
pcoaaron
Novice
Liked: never

Post by pcoaaron »

Thanks for the help :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

On a side note, if you want to be informed about all restores (application, VM, and FLRs) and you have Veeam ONE deployed, then you can use one of our predefined report templates that is called - Restore Operator Activity, which does provide audit information for all types of restores. Thanks!