Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamessa
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie Andrews

Veeam Server Page File

Post by jamessa »

On one of our main Veeam servers we have had some performance issues with. We have our backup configured as Synthetic with transform enabled. When the synthetic kicks off it is taking days to run, which is basically over the weekend. Right now it has 9 GB which it does not use all of. It is also paging to disk a good deal, which I suspect could be causing some performance issues. Paged memory is sitting steady at 3.5GB. I am wondering if anyone has tried reducing the allocated page file down to almost nothing to keep it from paging to disk? Suggestions?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Server Page File

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jamie,

I'm not sure that memory paging might cause that much trouble for your backup server. CPU resources is really what your backup server wants. Could you please tell me what is CPU usage during backup job run/synthetic transform? Is your backup server deployed on a VM? What is the destination target for the backup job?

Thank you.
jamessa
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie Andrews

Post by jamessa »

Sorry it took me so long to respond. i have been putting out other fires.

The backup server is a VM running with 4 CPUs (Underlying server is a Dell Poweredge 2950 with 2 Quad core 3.0 GHz procs) allocated to it with 10 GB of RAM. The CPU does not appear to be the bottle neck, at one point it was RAM, but I have steadily increased it to solve that contention. Of course now that is is 10 GB of RAM and Windows managing the page file it grew to a 10 GB + page file. I did manually shrink the page file to 5 GB max to see what it would do, but that appears to have hurt the synthetic backup pretty badly.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Jamie, please help me understand where you see the issue and what are you trying to resolve here. Basically, it is perfectly normal for Windows to page unused memory pages to disk, freeing up system memory for active processes...
FBraendle
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Felix Brändle

Post by FBraendle »

might be ballooning?