Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Veeam sql upgrade questions

Post by backupquestions »

I understand this has been answered in years past but wanted to check on recent versions to see if it is still the same. Also wanted to confirm a scenario.

1. I think Veeam B&R 9.5 update 4b includes sql express 2016, is this right? Or is it 2014?

2. Either way, here is scenario. If I stand up a new full sql 2017 VM, and I back this up.... Now later I need to restore a sql database, will this fail because Veeam's own local sql database version is 2016/2014? (and so the only option if you don't want to upgrade veeam sql version is to use some other vm as a staging server, which is a weird thing to do as then you need some other vm always available to do restores and if it is down or gone then you can't again)

3. If the answer to 2 is yes, then is it safe to just download sql express 2017, run the install and upgrade right over the top and everything should continue as normal? Just back up the veeam configuration first, but anything else to do beforehand or is there an accepted steps list to follow to do this?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam sql upgrade questions

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

1) yes, see https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4 for details on included SQL versions

2) It depends what you do and how you do it. If done correctly, then it will not fail. The key word is "staging server". But the staging server is only needed for export functionality and if you restore on transaction level (that's the answer for "what you do")

3) Although the answer to 2 is "no": you can upgrade if you like

Best regards,
Hannes
backupquestions
Expert

Thank you Hannes!

One quick clarification. When you say transaction level... This only includes log playback like if I did a "point-in-time" right? I want to clarify that I can still say "restore a granular thing such as a table within a database" and that would work without staging. (so long as I know that I can't pick a point in time, it has to be the time of the last veeam restore point or whichever veeam restore point I chose). So far I can do this when it is 2016 to 2016.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
no, it's only about "Perform restore to the specific transaction" (see checkbox). "Normal" point-in-time does not require a staging server.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Best regards,
Hannes
backupquestions
Expert

Thanks!