Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tamirm
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: TM

Veeam stopped truncating SQL logs

Post by tamirm »

Hi,
I'm running Veeam 6.5.0.109 to backup a ESX 5.1 VM via vCenter.
The VM is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Everything seemed to be working smoothly, and Veeam was truncating the SQL logs successfully (meaning it detected SQL, backed up its DBs, and then truncated the logs).
After a few days I noticed that the backup log doesn't include a message about truncating the logs any more. There was no error message, the whole backup process completed successfully, but the transaction logs truncation was missing from the job's actions.

Job with truncation:

Job without truncation:

What could this mean?
How could I verify that the SQL DB is being backed up properly?

Thanks
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Veeam stopped truncating SQL logs

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

It actually looks like the Application Aware Processing has been disabled on this job. Notice in both log there is a step that says "Indexing guest filesystem", but immediately following that the next line is different. For the first log the next line is "Preparing guest for hot backup" while on the second log there is no such line and it moves immediately to "Creating VM snapshot" instead. Please check you job settings and make sure that AAP is enabled on the job.
tamirm
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: TM

Re: Veeam stopped truncating SQL logs

Post by tamirm »

Yes, that was the case.
Thanks!