Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AndyGDIT
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Andrew Frye

Veeam support for ParaVirtual SCSI

Post by AndyGDIT »

Hi all did some google searching for this, and could only find veeam forums that were several years old

Has anyone used PVSCSI on there VMs that they backup and on their Veeam servers themselves? We are looking to make some changes to our VMs and it was said that PVSCSI has some benefits. We dont want to make these changes if we would have issues backing up or restoring servers with Veeam.

Andy
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Veeam support for ParaVirtual SCSI

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andy. Certainly you can use PVSCSI on the VMs being backed up, no problems with that, however, unless there has been a very recent update, the PVSCSI adapter is not supported for use with hotadd proxies, so, assuming you are using virtual proxies with hotadd mode, those proxies will need to continue to use the LSI SCSI controller. Here's the latest VMware KB article that I know of and it still states that PVSCSI is unsupported for VDDK backups with the hotadd transport mode:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1035096
I did notice that this KB article hasn't been updated for 6.x so I guess it's possible there was some change there, but I'm not aware of such changes at this time.
AndyGDIT
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Andrew Frye

Re: Veeam support for ParaVirtual SCSI

Post by AndyGDIT »

Thanks Tom!

I will let my admins know about this saying we can go forward. Ill keep the Virtual Proxies the same for now.