Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
moklakj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamison

Veeam Tapes Improvements for various LTO versions

Post by moklakj »

I am looking for the ability to have one tape job that can reference different tape types without the issue of worrying about if its going to use LTO 8 or LTO 9 or LTO 10. LTO 7 media has been around for close to 10 years, and LTO 8 for 7 years, but LTO 9 is now 2 years old with LTO 10 quickly following behind, I think addressing this issue as best as possible is important. What I was thinking was that today you have Veeam Media pools that reference a library containing tape media. You can only select one library (or media server) per Media Pool. If you to allow us to select multiple libraries/partitions per media pool, on the next page where you select the Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly job details, adding a spot where I can define which library to use for each type. In my case, as we age out LTO 8 and move to LTO 9, we want to have the longest kept media to be LTO 9 while the tapes we have the most are LTO 8 and want to cycle through them until end of life or destroyed. As tapes expire we can move them between media and libraries in the software and in the physical hardware. A slightly separate idea is to move the library selection from its own page to the page on types of jobs to configure and when you select daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly job and enter days, you then select library to use. So here is an example:

If I only want my yearly's this year to out to LTO 9, and the rest to LTO 8, I could and in example 1 I select both libraries in the tapes section of GFS Media Pool setup and then on the next page when I am on the GFS Media Set page, I would select on each checked media job type the correct library to us. The corresponding media server for the yearly section would be the library with LTO type I want. If I wanted in 6 months to move all future monthly's to LTO 9, then I can start that transition. As my monthly's age out, I can reuse them as part of my daily/weekly's. As my medias get reused too many times I replace them with LTO 9 and when ready move my weekly's to LTO 9 only.

The second example would just eliminate the "Tapes" menu on the library and move the option under each checkbox on "GFS Media Set"

With the way technology is advancing, I think would want this flexibility and improvement because what happens is we are seeing now post pandemic the moving of tape LTO versions to every 2-3 years and many company's have a 7 year retension we need the longest lived media to be the newest while the oldest media being the ones with the shortest retension.
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 322 times

Re: Veeam Tapes Improvements for various LTO versions

Post by david.domask »

Hi @moklakj
" You can only select one library (or media server) per Media Pool. If you to allow us to select multiple libraries/partitions per media pool, on the next page where you select the Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly job details, adding a spot where I can define which library to use for each type."
In fact you can do this already with GFS Media Pools, at least pretty close as best I get it. Be mindful Veeam doesn't support mixed LTO generations in a single library, but with multiple physical libraries or partitioning, you could easily set this up with a GFS Media Pool

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Personally I think that it's a bit complex but I might just not be understanding your strategy in full, but as I get it, you can do this ever since we added Active:Active multi-library configurations for media pools.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst