Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dakota33
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam to backup VMs hosted in Azure

Post by dakota33 »

Looking for best practices to backup VMs hosted in Azure. Veeam looks to be a good option.

My questions are:

Is there a preferred backup destination? Back the VMs up to storage in Azure (Which type) or maybe a Cloud Connect partner?

What is it like to do a full VM restore from Azure to Azure if needed? Any caveats?

If restoring from say a cloud connect repository, are the fees high to upload that VM to Azure?

I would ask what the restore time is like, but that would depend on too many variables I would think.

Thanks,
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Veeam to backup VMs hosted in Azure

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi Dakota - welcome to the Veeam Forums.

Basically all of this you can test on your own right now, and except the Cloud Connect backup storage, can be done for free. I recommend you do that test for the time being so you can answer these questions for the data profiles, use cases, configurations you use and watch for some options to come up to make this easier.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Microsoft increased the limits on disk size so a VM can now be a maximum of 2PB. I would suggest using ReFS for the backup repository. Keep in mind, for backing up VM’s in Azure, agents will be used.

If you backup data within Azure, there are no costs.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

dakota33 wrote: Apr 19, 2019 7:10 pm Is there a preferred backup destination? Back the VMs up to storage in Azure (Which type) or maybe a Cloud Connect partner?
To Niels' point regarding backups costs, if you backup to a VCSP then all of that backup data is leaving Azure and you will experience egress charges. But if the repo is in Azure then egress charges are eliminated.

Joe