Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dejvv
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: DG

Veeam upgrade 11 to 12

Post by dejvv »

Currently I am using veeam v11 and lately since the latest security patch around 2 months ago I am having issues with retension period example if I set at 4 it will sometimes ignore the retention period and keeps accumulating even to 10 and more and even am having issues with cloud backup.

Anyway I was thinking of updating to v12, I am have the enterprise plus edition license. I use tape drives for monthly backup will they still work?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam upgrade 11 to 12

Post by Mildur »

Hi DG

Welcome to the forum.

For the technical issue, I recommend to open a support case. We cannot solve it over the forum.
Anyway I was thinking of updating to v12, I am have the enterprise plus edition license. I use tape drives for monthly backup will they still work?
Yes, I assume so. v11 supports the same tape drives as v12.
You can check our user guide. LTO3 - LTO9 tape libraries and standalone drives are supported.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... r=120#tape

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dejvv
Novice

Post by dejvv »

Ill try the update maybe it fixes my issues as eventually I still need to update to the latest version, my query was about the license if I can still use the tape backups with my license as I when version 12 came out there was an article somewhere that you need an additional license since the tape backup was rewritten. I tried searching for the article but couldnt find it and wanted to be sure before I do the upgrade ;)
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello DG

The license change we had with V12 is for File to Tape jobs.
If you write non-"Veeam backup files" to tape with a File To Tape job, you have to license those backups with a VUL license (500GB/ license). Veeam Backup files (VBK, VIB, VBM, ....) will be excluded from the license requirement with a File to Tape job.
Backup to Tape jobs are not affected.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Are you using File to Tape jobs? They have been reengineered for scalability and are no longer free with Veeam Backup & Replication 12. You will have a grace period of 3 months following the upgrade to Veeam Backup & Replication 12 during which your existing jobs will not consume a license. For more information, see Instance Consumption for NAS Backup and File to Tape Jobs.
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dejvv
Novice

Post by dejvv » 1 person likes this post

oh ok thanks, I use veeam to do the backup and then those backup files are transferred to tape so I should be fine. thanks.