Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
o_jay
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Veeam V10

Post by o_jay »

DavidCNZ wrote:Hi Gostev,

We need file level from tape for the majority of restores we do. Quite often staff need to refer to earlier design data. One of the project store VM volumes is 15TB so by the time we restore this from tape and then restore the files it is a very long process. Not to mention the need for available disk space to restore to.

Regards
David
+1 for me too
gosnells
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Smith

Post by gosnells »

+1 performance capacity is limited, so tape is our archive tier with the longest retention and consequently the go-to location for any old lost files needing to be recovered..
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mike,

May I ask what type of vm archived to tape you would like to perform file restore from? I assume you are referring to a file server backup, right?
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Post by crackocain »

Hi Dima

I want to add something Mike's comment.

For example my customer, book designer. Books fileserver around 15 TB. And designes and content changes some reasons. Sometimes company personnel accidentally remove a page from Indesign project and save file.

And time passed . 6 months later books content want to changed again. Aha pages missing! :)

I think File Level Restore to tape is great feature for this customer. Because customer wants to keep every day backup for 1 year, maybe 2 year.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

crackocain,

Thanks for the update! I was wondering why not to use the existing file to tape job functionality (backup files from the machine directly to tape) and leave vm backup files for short term recovery?
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

Sorry, I don't understand.

Backups file to tape is not the problem. The problem is restore. Because customer only want guest file. In this case Indesign file.
Actually if customer want fastest restore i'm implement storage snapshot. But customer wants one file and 8 months ago.
10 TB fileserver restore isn't make sense :)

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

There are two types of tape jobs:

1. Machine Backup to Tape job. A dedicated job that archives to tape Veeam backups that were produced by Veeam backup jobs. File restore from vm backup on tape requires to recovery vm backup to a staging repository.

2. File Backup to Tape job, which allows you to back up to tape any Microsoft Windows or Linux files without the need to create a vm backup. With such backup you can restore a single file from tape without the need to stage the backup file first (simply because there is no backup file).

I was referring to the second type of tape job.
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

Actually this configurable but too many affection.

-Too many outside traffic fileserver VM to tape proxy. Traffic is passes VLANs. Server VLAN to BACKUP VLAN
-Couldn't Baremetal recovery if needed.
-ArchieveTier/Capacity Tier function not fully applicable i think. (main backup jobs not linked so can't be tiered)

I think this solution is workaround. I understand Veeam restore one file from tape but why virtual machine backup jobs not included. Great fit Scale out Repository with Archieve Tier for Tape.

Thank you for your response :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Locking this thread now that it has deviated into the discussion of unrelated feature requests.