Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Antnee
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Wharmby

Veeam V5: Pathetic Backup Speeds

Post by Antnee »

New install of Veeam 5.0 to replace VCB.

Backup server is a IBM 3650 2 x Quad Core CPU's and 6GB RAM. Disk is a 12 SAS Disk Raid 0 array (DAS)

VMware Storage FC DS3400 and DS4700 SAN

Previous backups via VCB backed up at approx 400MB/S. Speeds with Veeam are aveage for the job 25MB/s and on some VM's as low at 8MB/s. Total VCB run time for this one cluster was approx 6 hours.....this current Veeam job is at 30+ hours and still going. Veeam is nailing all CPU cores at anywhere between 20% to 80% each core. Total backup size for this cluster is approx 2.8TB. At this point I dare not let Veeam loose on the other clusters otherwise we will not get a backup before year end.

Compression for the Veeam job is set to optimal.

Any ideas what to try to speed the job up as currently this product is simply not fit for purpose and whilst I didn't expect pure VCB speeds, this is somewhat well of the mark.

Many thanks
pauliem
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Re: Veeam V5: Pathetic Backup Speeds

Post by pauliem »

I think that you might be having the same problems as me:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5619
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Anthony,

What backup mode are you using, and where you are backing up to? I will assume direct SAN access mode, and backing up to DAS. Performance issues with direct SAN access mode are most typically caused by multipathing software on backup server (uninstalling or updating usually helps).

Most likely there is some environmental problem, as we have people backing up 14TB of data with a single proxy, so the product is actually quite fit for environment of any size (we have many existing customers with hundrends, and even thousand of sockets under protection by our product).

Please open a support case, and we will be more than happy to assist you in finding bottleneck. It would help if we could investigate logs to make sure that everything works well, backup is not trying to go over network instead of direct SAN, etc. Thank you.
Antnee
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Wharmby

Post by Antnee »

Many thanks for the reply.

To confirm the backup mode is Direct SAN with no failover to network and we do not have any multipathing software installed/configured although I will double check this.

I will see how we get on and then raise a support call if required.