Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
isaez
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ivan Saez Scheihing

Veeam vab rman plugin files

Post by isaez »

Hi,

A quick question: can the rman plugin vab-files on the Veeam repository be copied to a (linux) server and used to restore the database without the rman veeam plugin? We are testing a disaster recovery scenario and are on a bubble without access to Veeam. So we have an isolated linux server with the vab files on it and I tried to restore the controlfile and got: RMAN-06172: no AUTOBACKUP found or specified handle is not a valid copy or piece
the location of the autobackup is correct so I'm suspecting that the Veeam adds some information to the vab file which can't be interpreted by rman (without the veeam plugin).

regards,

Ivan
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam vab rman plugin files

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ivan

You need to follow this guide to import the files back to the vbr repo and use the plugin to access the backups.
If you have lost your vbr server, you can install a new one for the restore.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
isaez
Enthusiast

Post by isaez »

Fabian,

But the purpose of our disaster recovery is to restore the database on a standalog server (in a bubble) without Veeam. So my question is basically: can the vab files (which we copied to the server on the bubble) be used to restore the database?

So importing vab files back to a vbr repo is not applicable in our DR situation. I hope you understand what we are trying to do.

regards,

Ivan
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Ivan,
isaez wrote:can the rman plugin vab-files on the Veeam repository be copied to a (linux) server and used to restore the database without the rman veeam plugin?
You cannot extract data from .vab files without RMAN plug-in installed on the target database server as RMAN itself is not able to read data from backups produced by plug-in.

You should restore Veeam B&R configuration on another server in case of DR or to install Veeam B&R from scratch and to follow the instructions provided by Fabian to import and map backup.

Thanks!
isaez
Enthusiast

Post by isaez » 1 person likes this post

Petr, Fabian,

Okay. Thanks for the confirmation.

regards,

Ivan