Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
odruard
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Olivier Druard

Veeam virtual server lose its disks when backed up by Veeam

Post by odruard »

Hello,

I encounter a strange issue (I can understand if you find it's a strange config too...).

I installed 2 virtual Veeam servers to backup a vSphere 4.1 infrastructure. Both are proxy and repository.
To avoid a system reinstallation in case of problem on these Veeam servers, each Veeam server has a job to backup the other one (system drive only of course, dedicaded drives to store backups are excluded).

In most cases it works.
However, if unfortunately they are backinp up each other in the same time, the first server whose backup is finished loses its drives during its snapshot removal (except storage drives, which are in permanent mode, so not impacted by snapshot operations).
I just need to stop the virtual machine and attach again vmdk files to configuration, and virtual machine is working again.

My first question is : Is it an issue or was it simply a very bad idea to use each Veeam server to backup the other one ?

Any comment is welcome.
Olivier
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: Veeam virtual server lose its disks when backed up by Ve

Post by Gostev »

Hi Olivier, generally speaking this scenario should work fine. May be what is causing the issue is that both Veeam server are clones? Thanks.
odruard
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Olivier Druard

Post by odruard »

Hello Gostev
No, they have been built from same template, but are not clones.

Olivier
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

May quite possibly be something to deal with the fact they were born from the same template then (such as same volume IDs). Please open a support case for further investigation, and don't forget to include support case ID here as per forum rules. Thanks!