Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Veeam VMware Backup settings

Post by zadrian »

Hi, i would need advise on a few matters with regards to Veeam 8.x and 9.x (some were an issue in 8.x).

1. Failure of backup on 1 VM causes the stopping of whole job.
I created a Veeam backup job that backs up about 9 few Windows 7 and Server 2012 R2 VMs which where mainly test environments.
Sometimes we would just clone a copy, in cases of issues (eg. Windows update or application updates failure), we would just delete the VM and replace it with the cloned version. Else sometimes we would just delete the VM away. This would cause Veeam to have missing or VMs with 0 space if we click recalculate. If we failed or forgot to edit the Veeam job, the entire backup job fails. There is a case where the VM was deleted and it was top of the list in the Veeam backup job and the whole job just had error with nothing backed up at all.

2. "Default" advanced settings.
There is a "Save as Default" button in the Advanced Settings of the backup job. But is there a way to implement or edit these setting to a few or all the jobs ?
These are some of the settings I would set for all my backup jobs :
- "tick" Perform backup files health check "weekly" on "Saturdays" & "Sundays"
- "tick" Remove deleted VMs data after "14 days"
- "tick" Defrag and compact full backup file "weekly" on"Saturdays" & "Sundays"
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam VMware Backup settings

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Zardian,
1. That`s why it`s recommended to use VM containers for the jobs. You just add a Folder/Tag/Resource pool etc. and deleted VM will not cause any problems.
Anyway failure of one VM should not cause interruption of other VMs processing. On what product version did you have the issue?
2. That can be done via powershell. More can be found on powershell subforum.
Thanks!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Veeam VMware Backup settings

Post by dellock6 »

You can also clone a job and use it as a sort of template, once you have the desired setup in the original job.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1