Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
don_advantis
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: don arachchi

veeam vs backupexec

Post by don_advantis »

HI Guys

can some one please help me on this. we are a small size company. i need to submit a business case so we could have veeam instead of backupexec which is due to renewal. 80% of our server are going to be on Hyper v and it will be around 10 servers. including one sql server, which take the total data size close to 11-15 TB.

i am completely new to Veeam and learning on the technology.

much appreciate the help.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: veeam vs backupexec

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Hi, Don,

I think you'd better contact Veeam systems engineer in your region to discuss options and opportunities available.

Thanks!
pls
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Shields

Post by pls » 1 person likes this post

We just switched from backupexec. We have 20 enterprise licenses so we are similar to you. Veeam seems much easier to use, has much fewer backup failures and restores are easier. Although not exactly a business case but I feel much better about our backup strategy now compared to BUE.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

I used to use BE up until 2016 version, and while BE was definitely improving (after years of falling way behind the curve in both tech and UI/UX), I have found veeam works well about 98% of the time. The deduplication alone saves a lot of space, the reports you get in emails are much better than BE ever did, and I don't feel like I have to babysit Veeam too much (there are a few times when I do, especially when snapshots stop working, but that's more of a windows issue than veeam).

The biggest thing I like about veeam is the forever-forward incrementals, which was an extra license in BE back then (and terribly documented).

Oh. just kidding. The biggest thing I like about veeam is the support, comparatively at least. I would dread ever calling Veritas/Symantec. I would do literally everything possible to avoid it. Veeam is not the best support I've talked to, but it is unbelievably better. I used to like their licensing, but the new instance based licensing is... well, I don't like it. But then again, they didn't totally fubar my licenses like veritas did. I still get emails from veritas about new downloads and licenses because they added me to other offices...

We only have 3 Hyper-V hosts and about 10 VMs, about 30-40TB of data. The incremental forever with ReFS is like 100000x faster than BE ever could do when it had to do fulls. It saves us enough time and bandwidth I am able to replicate to another office hundreds of miles away on a 50mbps line, at night only, with like 30-40GB of bytes changed every day.

Be aware that the tier upgrade from essentials (6 sockets) to anything higher requires relicensing to higher tier licenses which are a significant increase in $$. It is a fairly expensive upgrade just to add one server so we don't add new servers past our current 3. Once you're past 6 sockets though on that tier you just add more socket licenses like normal at that tier price.